Want To Make IndieTalk: The Movie?

IndieTalk: The Movie. Well that wouldn't be the title or anything, but rather just a proposal title to everyone in THIS forum, since it's the top dog in it's forum field. The brief idea; getting alot of indietalk members to make a film, and everyone contributing different things. Say a couple people writing it, some people filming it, others editing it, composing it... etc, a huge networking film. The worldwide appeal would be greater than the average since it would be produced in serveral countries, and with a high amount of people participating, the advertising size will reach alot of more/different people. I think it's an original idea, well i haven't heard of anything like it, so i would love to discuss this with all of you guys (and girls) and hopefully getting it up and going, so please reply with any cons/pros/questions, and whether you think you'll be interested in joining in!

Cheers, Kane, CV Films.

I think its an excellent idea especially for networking opportunities.

However the travelling costs will be quite excessive. Example UK to NYC average return flight £250.

Yea, travel would be a hassel for me being down under too, but my idea was to work remotely. For example: say i wrote it with you, we would comunicate via the net obviously. With the filming phase, this is where it might become tricky. But it would probably be the easiest phase to pick who is going to direct/act etc, because it would be best to be where the most indietalkers are located close, for the number of crew. But it will might come down to the actors being non-indietakers though.

Last edited:
Everyone, ask any/all questions, i have thought about it alot, i have more thoughts to the whole thing than what i have put in the description, and just the thought of what i think could happen really excites me :)

why travel?

people can do their parts where they are located... if you close to other indie talkers, then try to collaborate.

I think the Guru's should take part too... like the script Guru's should over see development of the script... and the others over see their versions...

This thing could be all online... shooters send their film or tapes to the editors then they to the compositers then back and forth and the music and final edit by the editing guru.. or somehting like that.

There was a similar idea to this kicked around a year ago. Nothing ever happened with it, though. We created a back story for two characters, and then we could all create individual 'episodes' featuring the adventures of these characters. The main characters were to be mysterious types -- always dressed in black and hidden in shadows. That way, we could all cast these characters without concern that they didn't look the same in all the episodes.

Here is the original thread--

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=5227

CootDog, thats exactly what i meant by working remote. The big idea that i thought was appealing to me/potential audience is the whole thing was done remotley/via the net. And the colabos happening with people close is what i meant/said too.Exactly what i had in mind. And the script gurus would be good to work with if possible. I would be probably involved in the writing with the script, since i'm remotly in Aus.

Eddie, the synopsis we'll come to a little down the track, i want to get all my phases down so the production runs smoothly.

Its a great idea in theory as long as the execution is fine :D

Filmmaking is such an organic process anyway so this sort of undertaking would be pretty interesting. Extensive screenplay development is easy to do online, I guess that storyboards could be posted and people could make suggestions to lock down that aspect, actors would probably be the hardest part but if someone is willing to undertake it I'd be interested.

Doubt I could fly anywhere though, I have a terrible fear of flying :)

John, thats interseting. I was probably looking to do just 'a' film, more of one solid production. This idea of mine is a little different than that previous attempt.

Last edited:
I'll have to check with Charles on this...but the Bophe team might be able to volunteer for sound mastery and score composition.

Doubt I could fly anywhere though, I have a terrible fear of flying :)[/QUOTE]

Oh dear! You have not been watching Airport 9/11 have yer?

Eddie: my idea for this project didnt include any air travel time. Unless someone really wanted to be in it that wasn't in the area of the particular phase, it's best to keep the costs low! And since we can all chip in to all different parts of the production, i think the biggest cost here will just be your personal time, which shouldnt be a problem!

Eddie Rex said:
Doubt I could fly anywhere though, I have a terrible fear of flying :)

Oh dear! You have not been watching Airport 9/11 have yer?[/QUOTE]

Doubt I'd like it, its bad enough flying as it is without watching bad things happen to planes :D

Used to love flying as well, stupid fears. I'm like a big girl, with testicles...

I do remember the secret agent Gemini project thing we were working on a while ago, but this sounds different... AND harder... Which is GREAT!

The editor will have a field day trying to get continuity down.

I'd love to see how this develops.

My suggestion would be to make 9 to 12 short films with a theme or themes and props that go into all of them. Not that I'm suggesting this but something like a teen angst film. A showing of teen angst in various countries and various places within countries.

I thought of this with the indie talk festivals. Rather than competition, we work together, and have all the films tie into one another, but only in the beginning and the end.

I don't think this is an original idea, but I do like it.

It could be as easy as one item being sold on e-bay, and following it's path around the world. A knife for a horror flick, a book for romance or teen angst, a painting or picture for anything, a pen for an office movie.

You get it. I think from the indie contests, you can't expect everyone to be on the same page and the same type of production or writing, but you could get a neat movie.

Chris

This is almost starting to sound like the Theives World fantasy compilation novels. Several fantasy authors were given a world in which to populate their characters, the rules were that you could use other authors characters (descriptions and backstories were posted in a packet and delivered to all the participants) but couldn't kill them off...only your own characters. The world was defined, maps and political stuff. Then the editors wove it all together into a cohesive story for publication...theres about a dozen books out, each chapter is by a different author in each book.

a project like this depends mostly on the determination of each individual who wants to participate, back in 1999 when another forum like this had the similar idea: each member at their town create a short film that has a common demonination, this that case, it was a dollar coin, and then the shorts would connect together through the coin (like in one short, at the end, the coin could've rolled toward off screen, and somehow picked up by the protagonist of another short film and proceed with that).

about 25 people signed up, the forum's owner volunteered to send each person a $1 coin and asked everyone to eventually send their short film in by certain due date, which was set like several months later, unfortunately, everyone got busy with their own project and only 3 of the signed up member submitted their shorts, I was one of them, and yet, the project never materialized.

I think the thought of it is always great and fun, however, it all depends on the people who are involved, plus what's the market of such a project? to just make something for fun or there's a market for it?

So, I just wanted to post my comment for all to read and understand, it takes time and endurance to make it happen, and if everything thinks it's a great idea, then PLEASE follow through to make it happen...

Interesting idea and I have some suggestions:

1) Keep the process simple -- Look at the things that can easily be done collectively and online - like story development and writing -- use separate threads as work areas -- so you'd have a story development thread, a character development thread and a script thread [you keep the threads separate so that they stay focussed on that one task]

2) For production why not take advantage of the international nature of the board and make the production international -- OK you can't fly your actors all round the world, but you can develop a story where events on three different continents are all linked.

So the next thing that you could look at is finding out who has what resources where in the world.

3) Decide on a house shooting style and let one single volunteer handle the post production -- so it doesn't end up looking like a patchwork quilt.

4) If you've got something that works, think about looking at a podcast series

And finally even if the only thing that comes of this is that you collectively throw some ideas around, develop the backstory of some characters, discuss the plotting -- that activity in itself will be valauable.

I'm more than happy to chip in my two cents on plotting, character development and the script.

Last edited:
Back