TLM103 VS U87 for narration?

Has anyone ever actually compared a $1,000 Neuman TLM103 VS a $2,800 Neuman U87. I am recording some ADR and narration for a movie. The ADR sounds "right" with my TLM 103. The narration is sounding quite "thin" though. The actor's voice is just not coming across as "full" and doesn't have enough bass. The TLM103 has a lot of high-end character that just isn't working for narration. I know of a place that rents U87's for 30 bucks a day (Cheap!). Think it's worth a try? Any tricks besides EQ to put some presence and character into recording narration?

Hi Blade,

I'm sure you probably found your solution already, but I'll post this for you or anyone that might find this useful. Usually for narration many like to use either the U87 or an EV RE20 for a bigger sound. You also might want to make sure you run it through a nice mic-pre like a Neve 1272 or 1073 . Also, mic placement is key factor in presence. Typically, you'd want the mic 4-6" from the subject just above the lips, slightly pointing down. Hope this helps!

I went with a AEA R84 ribbon mic, which really is a "narration" mic. My male voiceover talent had a loud, rather high pitched voice, which is a difficult voice to record with ANY mic.

Back