How do you get your creative juices flowing?

Hey all,

I need to make a single camera short film at college. However, coming up with ideas is a complete ball ache at the moment.

How do you get your creative juices flowing?

:cheers:

Are you restricted to make it about your college on your college campus?

I had such a box of rules as a cartoonist for a college campus newspaper. I came up with a mad scientist who was a professor on campus kidnapping students to conduct experiments like a Victor Frankenstein did to create a monster.

Ever see World Of Dracula from an old cliff hanger series about a college professor who taught ancient history at night who turned out to be Dracula?

Even though you have to work inside a box doesn't mean you can't think outside the box.

Are you restricted to make it about your college on your college campus?

I had such a box of rules as a cartoonist for a college campus newspaper. I came up with a mad scientist who was a professor on campus kidnapping students to conduct experiments like a Victor Frankenstein did to create a monster.

Ever see World Of Dracula from an old cliff hanger series about a college professor who taught ancient history at night who turned out to be Dracula?

Even though you have to work inside a box doesn't mean you can't think outside the box.

I'm not restricted at all with it.

We/the forum had this EXACT same conversation just the other week: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39512

- Read the day's headlines.
- Swap X for Y:
U.S. Escalates Google Case by Hiring Noted Outside Lawyer
becomes
Girlfriend escalates arguing by calling ex-con cousin with a pistol

On Day of Reckoning, Recalling Horror That Swallowed Liberia
becomes
Honeymoon Horror, New husband recalls killing his new bride for(not) swallowing

Just... let it off the hook a little. :lol:

GL!

I'm not sure if it will be helpful, but I find that most of my ideas occur to me when I am trying to not think about a project. Just zone out and do something else and have a note book or your phone handy to write down anything you can think of, whether it be a shot that you think would look great or a vague story arc. Take note of everything you think of, you never know when it can come in handy.

I personally come up with nearly all my ideas while at the gym.

music

Listen to music on your headphones.

It's better with no words.

When I went to film school as an aspiring cinematographer, Radiohead was my favorite for inspiration.

Go through your iTunes library, listen to some music. That always gives me ideas for or even full visions of scenes. And it leads you great places.

And also, watch other films! That's the best way to go. Watch a lot of movies (preferably older ones- 70's and earlier) and see what accumulates in your head afterwards. Good luck :)

Ideas for a script seldomly pop up as a complete and finished idea.
Sometimes they do, but most of the times you think of something little that still needs a story.
Starting blank is the most difficult thing to do, so you need to create a starting point.
In the end you may end up with something that has no connection with your starting point, but you need it to get started.
You can start with chosing a theme.
And brainstorm around that theme.
This way you can give yourself a context or starting point to be creative with.

"What if..?" is also a way to think about things.

And this is what John Cleese has to say about creativity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGt3-fxOvug

A large, strong Irish Coffee while watching the sunrise at dawn.

I love life and making something from nothing every day. Soak up as much as possible from as many different sources imaginable. Never limit yourself unless safety is a factor. Treat those as you wish to be treated. Have fun, for fun is a perspective and not a forced elective (an original quote from my 2011 BLOOD BIBLE script)... make fun a daily habit. Laugh at yourself. Don't be afraid to screw up.
Do not believe in writer's block. Read some books (try for 4 a week). Read some scripts (good or bad -- read two a week). Go out -- with a notebook and some pencils, AND LISTEN.
If you are a film maker, watch movies. A lot of movies. Network. Make something DAILY.

Hope this helps. Not rich or famous.

A large, strong Irish Coffee while watching the sunrise at dawn.

I love life and making something from nothing every day. Soak up as much as possible from as many different sources imaginable. Never limit yourself unless safety is a factor. Treat those as you wish to be treated. Have fun, for fun is a perspective and not a forced elective (an original quote from my 2011 BLOOD BIBLE script)... make fun a daily habit. Laugh at yourself. Don't be afraid to screw up.
Do not believe in writer's block. Read some books (try for 4 a week). Read some scripts (good or bad -- read two a week). Go out -- with a notebook and some pencils, AND LISTEN.
If you are a film maker, watch movies. A lot of movies. Network. Make something DAILY.

Hope this helps. Not rich or famous.

Dude, I believe that is the answer I was looking for. I sit day in, day out on my laptop doing coursework, and wanting to write an awesome script for a short film.
I need to leave my house, and go out. I need fun and definitely need to read more. When I was in high school, they said I wouldn't make it anywhere due to me not being able to read well. (Or write).
I need to stop trying to write an awesome script. I will write an awesome script.

Thanks man! :D

Take a poop.

Brainstorm with friends. Preferably, not while pooping.

Think of one tiny idea for what could be just one simple, but really cool, scene. Now, find a way to write an entire story to wrap around that scene.

And if all else fails, go mow Dreadylocks' lawn.

Back