• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't Think of Story Ideas

Me and a friend were thinking of doing a short film this summer but, like thousands of other people can't quite seem to come up with a good, original idea for a story. We were talking about ways to come up with a plot (i.e, emotions, random items) but we really can't think of anything aside from a couple ideas that are sort of out of our league as far as skill level (and time :D).

Any suggestions on how you would come up with a story, or any ideas you are willing to post that you wouldn't want (I don't know why you WOULDN'T want them :lol:) will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Intuitive

Have you considered obtaining someone else's IP? A novel, a short story, an article.. etc. Writing someone else's story is a great "in" anyway, even if you're not short of ideas as Hollywood has more confidence in things that have already had some success in one form or another.

Sometimes setting a limit on the possibilities can really inspire me.

Set some limitations on story elements, etc.. just anything to sorta narrow down the options and get you started..

• No more than 3 actors
  • Uses only 1 interior location and 2 exterior locations
  • Is a drama
  • has a sad ending

then throw in some images you'd like to see on the screen..

• man pours a drink
  • woman points a gun

... and see where that takes you..

I think that's pretty brilliant. I can imagine how that might help get a person going. It's a little bit like one of those Kino 48 hours things, where they tell you what the subject or theme has to be. But this is even better.

Depending on the genre, here're a few ideas.

Martial arts - a comedy about the most incompetent school. The international organization's president - who is the villain - wants to shut it down, because the instructor is as big an idiot as his students, but, in the end, they stop a robbery and save the day.

Western - a story about an immigrant from Europe, say, Poland, who comes to America and then tries to make a name and a life for himself out West.

Science fiction - an alien invasion is successful, and a bunch of patriots gather in a basement to plan a war of resistance. They are joined by commandos, whose special forces were defeated in the initial battles.

Police drama - an honest cop tries to fight for justice in a city of corrupt officials and corrupt police chiefs, but he is only one man with a modest paycheck, so he has to be careful about picking his fights.

Sitcom - a humorous look at the funnier side of practising law.

There are many, many more possibliities. What I suggest is you guys do a literature review of the genre you're interested in, as well as reading up on non-fiction works related to the genre - for a Western, say, you may want to read up on the history of the United States as well as the novels of Louis L'Amour, and, for police drama, you may want to read up on police forces as well as watch the movie, "Serpico". And, if you guys like what you're doing, it will be fun. :)

Recently I've spoken to one of the well-known screenwriters in Israel. I asked him nearly the same question, and he said, - "It's 10% of originality and 90% of how you tell the story".

One of the best pieces of advice I have read on coming up with ideas is to think of a one sentence description of a film and add irony to it. ie: A cop finds himself having to help a thief he's trying to catch. Simple descriptions can open up a range of ideas.

Me and a friend were thinking of doing a short film this summer but, like thousands of other people can't quite seem to come up with a good, original idea for a story. We were talking about ways to come up with a plot (i.e, emotions, random items) but we really can't think of anything aside from a couple ideas that are sort of out of our league as far as skill level (and time :D).

Any suggestions on how you would come up with a story, or any ideas you are willing to post that you wouldn't want (I don't know why you WOULDN'T want them :lol:) will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Intuitive

Just do a quick montage about a former competitive weight-lifter who destroyed his life with drug addiction. Now he's doing an odd under-the-table job intimidating and/or beating up white-collar bosses for yuppies who are too scared to do anything. Have him search for a higher purpose or something.

A lot of stories are similar but set in different setting or have different characters.

For example:

The three musketeers has four members with their funky hats, jackets and swords in olden french times (I think it is in France, I don't know I have never really read it or seen it).

Now change the setting, time, characters. Lets make it present time in America where instead of four jolly men with swords we have four turtles with each individual ninja skill and laid back attitudes to match and we have Teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Same concept in a way, but fresh idea.

Inspiration

It really comes down to going back to the basics when u going to the rough path of no ideas, and the only way is to get motivated to really write a script, and not just for the sake of making a move till deadline to get attention/a prize/ cash.
So the following steps would be to motivate yourself are -

1. Come back to the basics
- Why do you wanna make films
- WHich movies you have seen inspire you to do a movie ( i want to do it as good as him/ i could've done it better)
- Write down your thougts about what you then see in your head ( your creative tool ) when you go trough these points.

-start using common techniques like a storyboard to express your story going on in your head
-film it

I hope you got my point, or if u still wanna go for the deadline, go and just ask for a short movie script, got three on the hands myself and free scripts are available everywhere. A good remake is still a good movie and can be better ( go up - what can i do better as the director ) as the original.

Heres a clip of who inspires quentin tarantino min 7.30 always lifts my mood and gets me inspired ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4DkfxEv7ZU

Back