• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feature Length Screenplay?

I just finished writing a feature length script, which has quite a few action sequences, but has been edited to 79 pages. Most screenplay competitions recognize a feature screenplay as one over 85 pages. Does this mean this wouldn't be a 'feature length screenplay'?

I haven't entered screenplay competitions, but if it's like short film festivals where the film must be under 45 minutes (or other similar number) or else it isn't deemed a short film, then it sounds like you may not be able to enter the competitions that specify that the script must be over 85 pages

Well I am pretty sure you can add those 6 pages easily.
+ one trick I heard from reputable screenwriters - although I doubt it works in script comp.
Is to add blank pages with numbering so the total is 85. And write - action or love scene yet to be written.

Most screenplay competitions recognize a feature screenplay as one over 85 pages. Does this mean this wouldn't be a 'feature length screenplay'?

Are you actually entering a script competition with this page minimum? :hmm:

Fwiw, a padded script will read like a bloated, padded script.

If you're using Final Draft software, it has a reformatting function that will respace the lines, not noticeably, so that it will add extra pages without having to pad the text. Probably other software does the same thing, too.

I just finished writing a feature length script, which has quite a few action sequences, but has been edited to 79 pages. Most screenplay competitions recognize a feature screenplay as one over 85 pages. Does this mean this wouldn't be a 'feature length screenplay'?

What is your basic structure?

If your software is set to Cole & Haag, try resetting it to W.B. standard. it will add pages if that's the case.

If not, undoubtedly you can alter your formatting structure and gain some space. Anytime you think the Camera's POV might move break the Action description with a blank line. Trade "and" for "." and don't let run-on sentences scare you. This ani't english class.

Rather than break dialogue or description with MORE and CONTINUED at the page break, simply leave extra blank space at the bottom and start the next -- whatever-- on the next page. (Readers HATE MORE and CONTINUE.)

Check those things before you use spacing cheats.

A practiced eye can spot the differences in the look of the page.

Feature length is feature length.
Is what it is.

Typically, 90 pages is considered light, anything over 110 pages a wee fat.
@ <85 pages this script's waaaaay under industry standards.

Rather than cheat and trick consider some more actual story.

Action films are often slammed for having two dimentional characters.
Consider introducing some more actions, dialog, and relationships that introduce the reader/viewer to a world greater than a protagonist's/antagonist's immediate concern.

Next, deliberately complicate a process to acquire or achieve a goal.
Instead of a simple phone call consider the protag must meet someone who knows someone that deepens the spectrum of the environment everyone is immersed in.

In the film "Heat" Al Pacino's character doesn't just learn about "Slick" from a data base search.
No. First he hears it from the opening sequence's TV man, then he roughs up a snitch, then he has to go meet the snitch's cousin who drags in about a competitor concern.
It ain't simple.

Instead of a foot race that becomes a car chase consider the protag in a foot race to a hostage situation to successful/tragic outcome to an improvised weapon fight to location/building search to a car chase to water rescue.

In "Mission: Impossible II" Tom Cruise's character doesn't just go steal the rabbit's foot from a briefcase or a UPS truck. Nope. He's gotta get his team to a foreign country, scale a building, get to another building, slide down the glass, break in, shoot out, get the RF, escape, run around on the street.
It ain't simple.

The important part is to be mindful of your act structure and expand proportionately, avoiding a dysfunctional flow of timing.

ScriptStructure.jpg

Last edited:
You say it has quite a bit of action sequences though. Action scenes come out longer usually, depending on how they are written. So you're script could come out to feature length after the movie is made, even though it is not feature length on paper. But I guess if you want to market your script, a lot of potential buyers would have a problem with the length still. Am I right?

No. I thought about it, to compete for prizes, but I'm going to start Production in July. The film is called "The Watchman's Edict."

SYNOPSIS: An Investigative Reporter, at the Center of a Government Conspiracy, races against time to stop a proposed legislation that would require all citizens to be implanted with a microchip.

Back