• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do editors need to be on-set?

Hello!!

We've started production on my sci-fi flick, The Legend of Cooley Moon, and I'm very happy/excited about the footage we're getting. I could edit the movie myself but I think it would be a dis-service to all of the hard work everybody has put into it so I've decided that I want to have someone else edit the movie. Will this be a problem since I've not had an editor on the set??

Furthermore, I'm looking to hire someone to edit the movie and color grade it. (Paid Position)

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, and/or referrals!!

hahaha whoofta. Well... now i'm all sorts of confused ;) Anybody looking for a paid gig? haha
No need to be confused. If you want an editor on set you and the
editor agrees it's fine to have one on set. If the editor you hire does
not want to be on set and you are good with that, it's fine to not
have him on set. What ever works for you and the editor is the
best way to do it.

I'm looking for a gig. Won't step foot on set if you hire me.

Walter Murch said in "The Cutting Edge" that he refuses to go on set, as he wants access to similar information that the audience will have.

Has anybody had an editor around on a longer shoot so that they are creating a quick rough cut to see how the shots fit together?

Has anybody had an editor around on a longer shoot so that they are creating a quick rough cut to see how the shots fit together?

I prefer that when I am editing or of an editor that they are getting and cutting as soon as possible. I like being told if they want another shot or an insert of something, but I don't want them on set telling me that, nor do i want to be the editor telling a director how to direct on their set.

Back