• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short movie - gay person obsessed with his soccer idol

Okay, I have an idea in mind, it's a bit crazy but maybe that makes it original.

A gay man has been obsessed with his soccer idol for fifteen years. He even decorated his studio with posters. He cannot be with another man, his life is about his soccer idol.
One day his best female friend walks in and tells him his idol is single again. She decides to dress him up like a blonde bimbo babe and no one notices he's actually a man. She found out where he hangs out and he ( dressed up like a lady) makes a move on his idol. The soccer player like him a lot, there's a click and at the end of the night, he takes her ( or him) to his hotel room and finds out she's actually a man. He/she tries to run but the soccer player stops him, he was shocked to see a dick but had already fallen in love with his or her personality and the sleep together.

I started a draft like: the gay man recording his own youtube video, telling the world about his love for soccer, how his obsession came about, what impact it has, then his best friend walks in with big news ( the soccer player is single again) I still have to think about creating the seduction scene at the pub.

The production groups I've read for don't work directly with LGBT materials. However, it sounds like an clever idea for a romantic comedy if you go that direction. Good luck as you develop your draft.

Ok, assuming the soccer player is gay, or bi, which is a possibility that the fan didn't know about, I suspect there is a lot more room there for some drama...why sleep together on the first night? why not draw this flirtation out for days to a week, a perfect week where without sleeping together they just click in every way...then this struggle at the end when the soccer player discovers his love is actually a man...and then....suspense...what will he do? will he go for this fan? or will he run away?...drama...suspense...perhaps romance at the end....these are all things that can be vital moments in your film to draw in the viewer....how will it end?....will it be a romantic end where the soccer player accepts this new love? or will this turn into the soccer player and his friends hurting this gay guy that dared to try to trick him? Is there something sad, and sweet in this fans desires, in them willing to risk it all for that chance at love, only to have the very person they love so much physically beat and kick them....and then what then? does the soccer player feel remorse...does he look down into the eyes of this victim and suddenly realise something pertinent about humans and love? That we are all perhaps no more and no less then just beings looking for love? or does he feel a complete lack of remorse, that shocks and makes the audience question their own possible homophobia???

Because it is about a gay dude, and is not a comedy, you have a lot of room to be original and thoughtful in your approach. This film could be romantic, or thought provoking, or both...it is up to you...best of luck.

Thanks, very nice comments. I had my doubts about the start. I mean: a guy introducing himself to launch his own youtube channel. Maybe a better approach would be: a journalist from a soccer channel makes an interview on his obsession. Towards the end of the interview, his best friend comes in with the big news ( the soccer player and his partner broke up) and women's clothes.
The documentary will be on screen a week later. In that one week he gets to know the soccer player really well and there's this magic between them. Let's say, they have kissed but that's it. Of course he gets nervous knowing it will be on tv, he already regrets it but it turns out he has signed an agreement and he can't go back.
The "obsessed" guy was a soccer player himself. He had to retire due to a knee injury when he was seventeen. He was replaced by that other guy, the one he got obsessed with. The truth is that he actually had to leave the team because he told a fellow player he was gay. The final scene could be something like: there's a match planned and before the match the player takes the mic and says he has met a wonderful person this week, asks him to come on court, they kiss and then he says he finally knows about what happens in the past ( after watching the interview) and he doesn't want to play that night just to indicate that homophobia in soccer is not cool. The next scene could be those two men going home and spend the night while you get to see footage of the team sitting on the side, staring in the distance clearly knowing they have been wrong.

Last edited:
It may just be me, but it sounds like a really clunky 'message' movie written for young teens, that tries to beat its audience around the head with its 'message'. As FFP says, there is the potential for an interesting movie to come out of this idea, but what you describe isn't currently it!

In the end, the most masculin macho earning millions comes out on court, jeopardizing his carreer after find out how his team mates have treated a guy before he was on the team.
The man dressed up like a woman should look like: wow, is that a man? It's not supposed to be a drag queen movie.

I would urge against making this too serious of a drama. I think that some themes can be very poignant and still entertain. Well developed comedy can both inform and enlighten without heavy preachiness. The problem that I often find with LGBT drama is that it sometimes polarizes views rather than shifts them.

I agree that this should be developed by focusing on the romance. I think some of the humor, as in Mrs. Doubtfire, is the intensity of hiding he's a man. Again, there is a presumption on the general public's part that every gay man is also a crossdresser or wannabe transgender. Many gay men are quite comfortable being a man and masculine. So part of the humor is to show his struggle with wanting to be close but the discomfort of dressing as a woman. I think it also offers a vehicle to confront gender bias humorously.

I don't think every LGBT picture has to have the gay man be assaulted. In many ways, it sends the message that violence towards gays is normal and expected behavior. It's also demeaning that a gay must be repeatedly portrayed as a victim and be rescued by the 'strong straight fe/male'. It's as hackneyed as the girl tripping and being rescued by the strong macho hero. Maybe you can flip that around where the gay actually saves the soccer idol. There are lots of opportunities to be creative and avoid playing to cliched and disempowering ideas. Good luck as you develop the story.

As for me, this is certainly a (romantic) comedy. I don't see how a boy dressed as a girl can fit a serious drama.

Is this a short film script?

Last edited:
I still haven't made the decision whether it's going to be a short film or not. Definitely more than ten minutes. Don't want it to be too boring.

Good tip for letting the gay man save the soccer player ( who turns out to be at least bi but I don't want to label any of the characters). Maybe right before an important match the soccer player and his fan kiss and get caught by a few teammates, he gets threatened and the fan comes on court to defend him in public, to tell him how wrong it is.
I think something like murder attempt would be a bit over the top although the soccer player could play the match, go home with his lover and be honored as a national hero and then when driving to his first training he gets murdered although that should definitely lead to a feature. Before getting on with it, I want to have to full story in my head.
So far I only had a couple of characters in mind ( the TV host, the best friend, the fan, the idol and then the players as extras but some of them could play a bigger role).

I think FantasySciFi is actually right...give the gay guy some power rather then have him as a victim...and showing this guys own awkwardness at dressing like a woman just to be close to the person he loves is both funny, and yet human too...to go that far to just get to know someone you love...As for the soccer player, you don't need to spell out that he is bi, but if he can fall in love with this man at the end then clearly he is, and that speaks for itself.

Apart from that, I think the film is yours to create, to do with as you will...you have room there to make a great movie no matter what genre you decide to fit it into...I hope you do make it. I don't normally watch material that contains same sex relationships but that's not to say that I wouldn't watch yours if it was done without the cliche's and just told a damn good story.

Best of luck

I've been thinking how to sort it out and maybe it should end with some sort of drama. The couple being strong enough to come out but one of their team members can not live with the idea. Eventually because the big gay hating team mate turned out to be in love with him as well ( and couldn't stand seeing him with another man)

PS this is the first part of a potential first scene ( formatting isn't perfect, but it's about the story for now)

INT. SOCCER AND SOCKS STUDIO - DAY
Host Sandra Sanders and Christopher Levine sit on a black leather couch. In the background you see banners of famous soccer players.
SANDRA
Good evening and welcome to "soccer and socks". Do any of you remember Christopher Levine?
Images of a teenage soccer playing Christopher appear on screen.
SANDRA
Fifteen years ago, he was our nation's most promising star until a knee injury cut his carreer short. At least that's what they made us believe so I'm joined here by Christopher.
CHRISTOPHER
Good evening, Sandra
SANDRA
So Christopher, tonight you want to set things straight?
CHRISTOPHER
Straight is not the best choice of words
SANDRA
Could you elaborate on your retirement?
A big photo of their team appears in the background
CHRISTOPHER
(sobs)
As you can see: this was our team, huge potential at the time but yeah, I had to leave.
SANDRA
How did you deal with injury forcing you to retire?
CHRISTOPHER
I wasn't injured, though I was forced to retire.
Christopher cries, takes a handkerchief out of his pocket.
SANDRA
Christopher, are you ready for this?
CHRISTOPHER
I had been playing since I was six, worked my ass off for twelve years until...
Christopher sobs.
SANDRA
We could do this tomorrow if you want
CHRISTOPHER
Until I fell in love with my teammate Jason.
SANDRA
Big bull Jason Bridge?
CHRISTOPHER
Yes
SANDRA
Had you ever had feelings for guys before?
CHRISTOPHER
No
SANDRA
How about girls?

Last edited:
Back