Important question! Can you send your film into festival review with any music ?

first of all im a musician i know about rights.

What has being a musician got to do with knowing about copyright law? Now if you'd have said you were a commercial rights or entertainment lawyer then that would have indicated knowledge.

I'm not talking about stealing it I"m talking about having a showing to interest investors.

You are obviously talking about both! It's not a difficult basic concept to grasp: If you've used music in your film without permission of the rights holder/s then you've stolen it! Unless you are covered by "fair usage" or you have a licence, you cannot have a showing to distributors (or anyone else) without also stealing the music.

If you have a film that matches up to the great music you will get them.

I don't know why you started this thread if you already know that your film is so fantastic that festivals and distributors are going to accept it even though they can't legally distribute or screen it. If you honestly believe what you're saying then you should go right ahead, illegally use whatever music you want and find out for yourself what happens.

G

What has being a musician got to do with knowing about copyright law? Now if you'd have said you were a commercial rights or entertainment lawyer then that would have indicated knowledge.

You are obviously talking about both! It's not a difficult basic concept to grasp: If you've used music in your film without permission of the rights holder/s then you've stolen it! Unless you are covered by "fair usage" or you have a licence, you cannot have a showing to distributors (or anyone else) without also stealing the music.

I don't know why you started this thread if you already know that your film is so fantastic that festivals and distributors are going to accept it even though they can't legally distribute or screen it. If you honestly believe what you're saying then you should go right ahead, illegally use whatever music you want and find out for yourself what happens.

G

i'm a musician so i've dealt with owner ship rights

if you think showing a film once to a few people without the rights is such an ethical problem i guess you must be a saint guy. I'm sure you do worse things on a weekly basis. haha please man

Back