Special effects (i think this is the right forum)

I think I'm posting this in the right spot. I've just been wondering. I'm working on my first script, its a short, and I'll be filming it myself. SInce I'm sixteen it'll be a no budget production, it will serve as more of a learning experience. So far there is a scene in which someone gets shot, and I was wondering is there anyway i can do a realistic gunshot. Is there a way to make a homeade "squibb"(non-explosive b/c i dont want anyone getting hurt) or should i just have the entire scene off camera and then after the shooting the camera moves in and theres just some fake blood. Also if you buy one of those video editing softwares that are compatible with digital cameras. Do they have a soundboard for dubbing in gunshots or punches?

P.S. Would a digital camera be ok for filming, or should i use something else?
Thanks in advance............~Kyle~

How close is the gun shooter from the victim? And what kind of gun are they using? I'm just wondering because unless someone is getting shot at point blank range with a 12-gauge shotgun, their chest isn't going to rip open with blood. If someone is getting shot at a medium range with like a 9mm(small handgun), I think you could easily get away with some good acting. Just have the actor pretent to take a realistic bullet hit, then you can cut closer to him once he's on the ground to show the wound.

Also, most video editing software will let you import sounds like MP3s or wavs if you have soundFXs of gun shots. Then you can just place them where ever you want in the audio track.

And I assume you mean Digital Camcorder to shoot the film, not Digital Camera...which, yeah..that's the best way for you to go. :wink:

Hahaha....Good catch CommanderGoat. That's exactly what I meant. I could use a digital camera though and print out the pictures and make a flip-book.(just kidding :lol: )

When I was in high school (back in the day), I had a scene that involved a gunshot. We made a wax buildup on the actor to look like a bullet hole in the head. Did a decent makeup job, added some blood. Then we had the shot of the gun firing, quick cut to head snapping back (bullet hole present). As long as you don't need to see both things happening at the same time it's an easy cheat and works well on a "no-budget" movie like I had to make when I was 16.

I got an A on the project if that's any incentive. Teachers might be a bit more critical these days, what with all that Lord of the Rings CGI and stuff.

Fearmaker,
What project did u have in high school where u could make a movie. My school doesnt rele have any good classes involving filmaking so im trying to find workshops and learn whatI can through everyone here, and on my own. Was it like a video productions class?

It wasn't a film class. It was Government. We had to do a project on a president and it could present it in any form we chose. My group of three chose to make a movie profiling JFK.

We didn't have any film or video production in my high school. It was shot on a VHS camcorder and edited with 2 VCRs. Back then we didn't have all the cool editing stuff at our disposal like the kids today!

Back