Im a New Member here, so i thought id introduce myself !

Hello everyone on indietalk.
Im Lloyd Davies.
Im a 16 year old film-maker living in Wales.

This is my first post on indie talk so I figure I may as well introduce myself and tell you all my story.

Ive been making films for about 6 years now, and been wanting to make films further back than i can remember.

This summer I am embarking on my first feature film.
'Dante & Rico' is the working title.

It is set in a world where 50 years earlier the earth was over-run by beasts that sprouted from the 'earth's dark corners'. By the present time in the movie, most of the beasts have been beaten down by humans - but the war still carries on as some beasts just seem to keep popping up here and there.
So (in the United Kingdom) two beast hunters are stationed at each area code.

We follow the story of two failing beast hunters (Dante & Rico) who are struggling to maintain a good respectable relationship with their townspeople. Basically, they are both terrible at their jobs !

Dante is a very serious and experienced hunter. While Rico is young and fresh and very ignorant.

One day they get the chance to prove themselves when they are set the task of taking down a dragon that is about the size of a small plane.

My friend David will be playing the part of Dante and I will be playing the part of Rico.
Many of my friends and family are excited to help and just about everybody in my small town knows about the project.

I am hoping that in a way i will quietly change film-making with this movie.
I have noticed a loop-hole in visual effects these days, people seem scared of it. I find CG very easy, and my dad says it is probobly because i have a young mind and when you hav a young mind it is hungry to latch onto something and master it. Also, being my age I have plenty of time to put alot of effort into such things.

I thought I would tell you all simply because I want you to know who I am and what I am doing.
I am not reading any more books on film and i am not watching any dragons movies for reference, ive done things like this in the past and found it only turns my movie into one big cliche.
I am tackling this using my own perspective, I am trying to be realistic in the way that townspeople would react to reports of a large flying beast nabbing people up.
I think it is going to be scaringly real.
Romero achieved it on a zero-budget with Night Of the Living Dead, so i think i can do it.

The relationship between Dante & Rico is much like that of any odd couple, they dont like each other - but with time they grow to realise that they love each other !
Imagine Starsky and Hutch mixed with Ghostbusters but replace the ghosts with vicious beasts such as werewolves and dragons. and your just about there :)

Anyway i think ive talked for long enough.
Any criticisms towards my project are welcome, but any praise is greatly appreciated !

Lloyd Davies

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! :D

Going to keep us updated as it progresses?

(and welcome to IndieTalk) :P

ZensteveTheMagnificent

Welcome Lloyd! Wales eh? I'm based in the UK in Hampshire and in september I'm coming up to go to IFSW in Newport! The script sounds great! Write it, Shoot it, Screen it... and screen it here as well!

Well thankyou to everyone for taking such an enthusiastic interest !

No, I do not speak Welsh by the way, i live in north east wales right next to the English border. None of us really speak Welsh around here, we all sound like slightly posh scousers (people from Liverpool).
Its Southern Wales where you'll find all the Welsh speakers and patriotic Welshmen and women :)

I have written the script but I am adding and taking from it everyday, and Im constantly getting people that I dont know too well to read it so that they will give me an honest opinion.
They seem to think its all pretty good for a 16 year old!

Living in Wales is handy to make a movie like this though, as this way we can show lots of very nice scenic dragon-flying-shots by just driving away from town for a few minutes. Then if we want a more scary and visualy interesting sequence we can always have the dragon attack the little settlements and villages, so its all good :)

Anyway thanks again to you all for taking an interest, and yes when i have finished the film (may be around late september) i sure will screen it here.
Itll probobly take about 1+1/2 or 2 months to shoot (I have no crew) and then god knows how long to do all the editing and special fx and computer animation.

Thanks again.

Lloyd

Back