Advice: how to upgrade my workstation

I'm looking for advice on how to upgrade my current workstation to be ready to edit 4k footage. I'll be gearing up for a project with a bunch of c300 mk II 4k footage, I believe some flavor of ProRes. I've edited a few projects with 4k Panasonic footage, and my system chugged a bit doing that. What do you think I should upgrade?

My system:
• Intel Core i7 4770K (3.50 GHz)
• 16 GB DDR3 RAM
• 1TB + 8GB SSHD HDD
• Windows 10
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB
• Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB (OS and program drive)
• 6tb Backup 7200 RPM HDD
• 4TB 7200 RPM Seagate project Drive
• 1 TB 7200 RPM empty drive
Adobe Creative Cloud Premiere Pro 2017

Based on a slightly upgraded Lenovo machine: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265837

Where is my bottle neck? GPU? CPU? Storage needs serious upgrades (I think I'm dealing with 8-12 TB of footage), but I'm not sure what I need besides that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sweetie,

I have to resolve computer and software issues for people as my living. And, one of my client bases are artists and designers. As much as they know their art, they don't understand computers, software, and networks. It is our common practice to pull up charts like I did to show lab tests on software performance with software with different platforms and environments. As you said on this board, you lost a job telling an employer where to shove HitFilm. Some artists learn from that experience. Those who are hard headed never do and lose more work in the future.

And, as much as you stereotype HitFilm for beginners, on a VFx group that I joined on Facebook, I discovered professional VFx artists are using HitFilm for television networks and one for a multi-million dollar film. There are many who like AE and PP. But, others are adopting to HitFilm because their jobs require it.

As an editor told me years ago who worked in Canal Plus for years, "I'm an editor. Software is my tool. I can learn any editing software."

Last edited:
I have to resolve computer and software issues for people as my living.
Why aren't you better at it?

As you said on this board, you lost a job telling an employer where to shove HitFilm.
Never lost a job due to it. I did tell a client to shove his hitfilm for editing and proceeded to produce work that exceeded all their previous work.

...show lab tests on software performance with software with different platforms and environments.
Looking it up is useless when you fail to understand the data correctly, you then apply it elsewhere and make mistakes.

This is part of the reason you and h44 struggle to make headway in filming. You both think you know better and make it harder for yourselves. You both constantly refuse to accept the advice of professionals around you and struggle more than required.

And, as much as you stereotype HitFilm for beginners, on a VFx group that I joined on Facebook, I discovered professional VFx artists are using HitFilm for television networks and one for a multi-million dollar film. There are many who like AE and PP. But, others are adopting to HitFilm because their jobs require it.

As an editor told me years ago who worked in Canal Plus for years, "I'm an editor. Software is my tool. I can learn any editing software."
You can edit on Photoshop too. No one in their right mind does it. Most professionals use Nuke/Maya for their VFX. None of them push those tools to edit. Right tools for the right job. As soon as you apply that concept, you'll move in the right direction faster.

You guys should take it to PM and lets keep this thread focused on helping the OP
No need, I'm done with MDM. He's trying to get nasty and I have better things to do with my time. If the OP comes back and asks more questions, I'll answer. I hope others don't maliciously steer him in the wrong direction in the mean time.

Back