MA in Creative Studies (Film)

Hi there!
I'm new to this forum and I saw that the Lobby was a place for introductions, so here I am introducing myself, a 21 year old aspiring writer and/or director from the UK.

But I also have some questions that I hope some people will be able to help me with:

I'm just finished university, I've now got a degree in History with Film Studies and I am considering continuing my education by doing a Masters course (Master of Arts/MA) next year. I most likely going to do one in one subject or another, at one uni or another, but I would like to one in Film.

So my first question is, has anyone here done an MA in film (at any uni in the world)?
And if so, what was it like? A good experience? Useful in any way?

And also - what topic did you do? (that is, for your dissertation, I'm looking at both taught and research courses but they all seem to involve a dissertation at some point, 20,000 words seems the standard)

See, the applications tend to ask for the topic you intend to research for your dissertation so I'm going to have to settle on that before I go any further. I'm looking for any suggestions - anything that is fruitful to research, any area that has hardly been touched, an area that has perhaps been overly explored and needs an objective account of the material available, or something where not much has been written for a long time and the thinking could be brought up to date.
Another way to approach it is to pick a theme, such as masculinity, violence, race, sexuality etc. in film, or to examine, say, independent films, or the films of a particular writer/director/etc.

So any thoughts on a topic would be great. Here's what I have so far:

Adaptation - as well as being a movie buff, I'm also an avid reader and have been my whole life (even longer than I've been into film). I've always made a point of watching the movie adaptation of books I've read (or vice versa, reading the novel that a movie I've watched was based on) and I've thought much about the adaptation process - what needs to be kept, dropped, changed etc., what works in books that does or doesn't work in film, and it's a topic I'd much like to explore

Violence - or to be specific: killing. I've always noticed how often people die in films. There are very few films I've watched where someone hasn't died for some reason or another. I put it down to human nature having an impulse for destruction that can't usually be expressed in every day life and so it is put into film. A rather psychological approach that I think needs exploring.
Also - the relationship between violence and masculinity (I wrote an essay that I'm quite proud of on homoeroticism in Fight Club)

Horror films - this might go along with the violence topic but I'm interested in people's fascination with killing, blood, gore and monsters in movies. Also why most true horror films are often passed by as 'b-movies' and have always had a cult following rather than being comfortably mainstream (such as Hammer Horror and good old cheesy zombie movies). Might be relevant as recently horror does seem to have broken through as recent releases have done well at the box office (Dawn of the Dead remake, The Ring remake etc)

Specific director - I'd like to write something about a director that hasn't had much written about them, but I'm struggling to pick a good one. It's hard to strike a balance, i.e. find someone where enough has been written about them for me to go on without having to stalk them, but where little enough has been written that I can easily write something new. Tarantino came to mind but that might just be self-indulgence

So... any thoughts? Any advice?

Hi there

By coincidence today I was looking for an expert on Kubrick's life. I discovered that the academics at the name schools (Yale, etc.) don't seem to dwell overly much on contemporary wide-release film. The ones I read about specialize in more historical studies of early days of film (1900-1910), cinema from Japan or Itlay, minorities in cinema, etc.

I'd check out the research focus at universities that you'd like to wind up at as an academic.
Unfortunately what interests most audiences and "normal" people will not interest the faculty at those universities. You may find the whole academic process very "political". By a "useful" degree do you mean w/ respect to finding a job or useful for your own knowledge?

An MA in film studies will suck for finding a job (but you probably already know that!) If you are serious about being a writer/director run far, far away from the MA program and do a production course at BFI, London Film School, etc. or just buy an HDV cam and start shooting! The people at the MA program will probably not be very good at production.. (not enough gear, experience, propensity to be more interested in talking about films then actually making them, etc. etc.) How many directors can you name that have that MA degree? Probably none, because it is a scholarly/critical course not a production course. Do not do it if you want to actually work on set. If you want to write books and be the next Peter Biskend, it sounds like it might be a good course. Just my opinion though..

Per

Last edited:
How many directors can you name that have that MA degree?

Just about to start my MA in experimental film :blush:

Saying that I agree with Mr Scheduling. If wasn't already an established writer and director I'd be doing the MA in screenwriting at Bournemouth University. Bournemouth is the hot media unversity in the UK and is seen as a fast track into the industry.

filmscheduling said:
Hi there

By coincidence today I was looking for an expert on Kubrick's life.

by another coincidence Kubrick is one of the directors that I would consider writing about, and someone who I already have a few books on to get me started. also, at the university at which I've just finished my BA and would most likely continue at to do an MA, they are quite receptive to studies of contemporary films (i got a first in an exam where i answered an entire question (one third of the paper) by discussing to what extent The Matrix was an auteur or independent film, or to what extent it fitted the classical Hollywood studio system). one of my potential supervisors does actually focus on Hollywood film

i do indeed realise that qualifications mean nothing when getting an actual job, although I've found some MAs that do involve practical production to some extent which is better than nothing. i'd be happy ending up as a writer/director or author, so at the moment an MA is just something i want to do either way. i can always get a camera and start shooting in my spare time alongside the MA, and whereas it will not help me get into the industry it will certainly not hinder me either

i checked out the London Film School - have you seen the tuition fees?! :cry:
it even costs £25 to apply, although it does say there are bursaries available, details of which you receive after you apply. might be worth at least an attempt though

Just remember most of the worlds greatest writer/directors didn't get in or dropped out of a Masters of MA program. I would have to agree with filmscheduling most Master of MA programs are scholary/critical courses not production.Robert Rodriguez once said "I went to film school graducated forgot everything I learned and made a movie.

Back