• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Writer for Hire" question

Hi,

I have a project already in screenplay format (~90 pages), that I would like rejigged by a decent writer - snappier dialogue, tighter scenes, but essentially the same story and flow of events. What sort of figure should I offer, or expect to be quoted? I want to do a one-time cash payment with the writer, rather than deal with any percentages or royalties.

My aim is for it to become a straight-to-DVD low budget feature film, but I have no guarantee that I will reach this target. I imagine it will be self-funded. Credit would be split, something like "original screenplay by ..., rewritten by ..." or whatever is accurate and normal.

Hi,

I have a project already in screenplay format (~90 pages), that I would like rejigged by a decent writer - snappier dialogue, tighter scenes, but essentially the same story and flow of events. What sort of figure should I offer, or expect to be quoted? I want to do a one-time cash payment with the writer, rather than deal with any percentages or royalties.

My aim is for it to become a straight-to-DVD low budget feature film, but I have no guarantee that I will reach this target. I imagine it will be self-funded. Credit would be split, something like "original screenplay by ..., rewritten by ..." or whatever is accurate and normal.

This depends on many factors. Some American script doctors will charge upwards of $2000 ( 1280 pounds) to read and provide coverage. Editing and ghostwriting can be considerably more. The Writer's Guild has guidelines for payment and credit. Since you're in the UK, you might wish to see what the British Writer's Guild guidelines are (http://www.writersguild.org.uk/). Of course, any guild is going to also push for top dollar for its members but it will give you some ideas for your area.

I would suggest you approach it as "work for hire". Credit normally entails a percentage of profits (residuals). If you approach someone, I would have a contract which clearly outlines that this is a work for hire, that they have no claim on copyright, and credit is provided in lieu of any further payments or percentage of revenues (residuals). This is especially true if the person is a guild member. Credited writers are expected to receive a certain amount for script publication.

You can search around and check out various services. But for a screenwriter to professionally rework your script, I would plan about 1280 pounds. I admit that seems steep. But I can personally attest that a LOT of time can go into re-writing someone else's script, especially a feature film. Be careful not to expect that a one-time payment includes re-writes. A fair inclusion in the contract might be the revised edit of the original and one revision. Re-writes affect the payment for many script doctors. You may include a section detailing payment for any revisions. These are things to look for.

As you shop around, this will give you a rough figure if you choose to go with a professional. There are writers who will do it for less so they can get name credit.

Good luck!

Hi,
What sort of figure should I offer, or expect to be quoted?
I think you should offer what you can afford.

There are writers right here on indietalk who may do it for
a few hundred - to get their first screen credit. There are
writers here with some experience who may be willing to
writer for a few thousand.

Make an offer and work from there.

Getting What you Paid For

I have been hired as a script doctor many times and I gotta warn you, be very careful if you are giving a lump sum. That means you can't ask for changes so what the writer hands you is what you get.

If you are going to pay a lump sum then make sure you know what it is you want, and more importantly what you dislike about the script now. It's self-aggrandizing douchebaggery to say but I'm a pretty strong writer, worked for years and I have worked with producers that don't know what the fuck they wanted. (I once caught a producer telling me, after maybe draft 3, he didn't like the rewrite, that it was missing something... But I caught him in a lie- the asshole hadn't actually read the draft I handed in.)

I have found that producers will more often than not have a timeframe in mind more than on a project basis. For payment, lately I have been 4k per week for two separate scripts (rewrite) from the same "mini-major". One took a couple weeks. In the good log days (ie- the before 2006ish) I was once paid 25k for 3 days work. Also, lots of times writers in these situations will not get a credit and I don't recall ever seeing a credit for "rewrite". If I remember correctly there is a WGA ruling that can be enforced if significant changes are made, a writer (or his agent) can demand a credit.

Thanks for the detailed responses, it is very helpful.

I had kind of guestimated a figure of about $3-4K in my mind before I wrote this, as this seems a reasonable compromise between my limited resources, and them paying their rent. I think I would need someone with at least some experience of turning out scripts to standard formulas, because this is an area that the current screenplay is weak, but top-end pro's are definitely out of my reach judging by what I'm reading.

"Work For Hire" definitely sounds like the right approach, and a contract that specifies one revision is a good idea.
I would definitely go non-union option, and make sure that everything is arranged water-tight in a contract and details the terms of payment. My aim is not to screw anyone over, just to get a good end product given my resources, and I don't see there being any issue in crediting the writer with what they do.

how long does it take to rewrite a 100 page script?

I've been staring at this thread for over a half an hour. Amazing what has been running through my head. I keep coming back to this question. If a script is weak in "standard formulas" how does one improve that condition and not change the "story and flow of events"?

So I wonder after spending 4 grand on a re-write does the script end up better or just different?

I'm guessing the credit would be something like this, Original story by Arg, screenplay by Dr. Re-Write.

Last edited:
I think this will really depend.

If you want to get a professional screenwriter with existing screenwriting credits to work on the script then yes, it will set you back a fee in the thousands of pounds region.

But, equally, if this is going to be a direct-to-DVD low budget feature you might not need a professional screenwriter. I've met pro screenwriters who are, frankly, not very good. You might be better off looking for someone who does editing work on top of another job or other commitments, and who's is likely to be cheaper if they're not relying on it to pay rent.

Basically, I could do it ;)

I've been staring at this thread for over a half an hour. Amazing what has been running through my head. I keep coming back to this question. If a script is weak in "standard formulas" how does one improve that condition and not change the "story and flow of events"?

So I wonder after spending 4 grand on a re-write does the script end up better or just different?

I'm guessing the credit would be something like this, Original story by Arg, screenplay by Dr. Re-Write.

Really good point. You have to be prepared for the possibility that structurally your script could need a "page one" rewrite. Nice thing about a bad script is that it's easy to impress in the rewrite process.
Do you have anyone whose opinion you respect to ask about the script in its current draft?

Interesting.

I've yet to be credited as a 'Script Doctor', but I've assisted many filmmakers with their screenplays. I've definite referees I can offer for any reassurance and I'm sure many on the boards would vouch for my helping hand in the Screenwriting section.

If you are interested, PM me any further details you can offer on the material.

how long does it take to rewrite a 100 page script?
That depends on how much work is needed and what
YOU expect.

I have done what are called "page one" rewrites in three
months and in 18 days. I have worked with a writer on
rewrites for nine months and still not gotten what they
want. Depending on the writer you can reasonably expect
at least three to six months.

$3k to $4k is reasonable for a writer with some experience
but who hasn't sold a script. If you micro manage everything
the rewrite could take a long time. On the other hand if you
trust an inexperienced writer to turn in a draft quickly and
you don't like it then it's wasted money.

What you want takes a lot of work. And even though many,
many people feel they can write, the harsh truth is most who
think they can write well cannot.

Of course getting the right wording in the contract is essential,
but reading a writers work is even more so. You are going to
need to read at least three screenplays from each person who
want to rewrite your script. Or hire from a referral - find a writer
or a producer who has worked with a rewriter and get a
recommendation.

If a script is weak in "standard formulas" how does one improve that condition and not change the "story and flow of events"?

heh, yes, phrased like that it sounds crazy. let me explain. the events take place in a sensible order, and stick to the ruff act 1,2,3 minute timings; each scene has a point to it, and little arc. it is a martial arts action script, and has a necessary number of fight scenes that need to be placed in a context that suits the style of the fighting, which makes it slightly different to typical scripts.
but overall it feels too zany, the dialogue feels unnatural, and it feels slightly too off-the-wall. i would want the story and unfolding of events to stay approximately the same, but have the whole script hollywoodified.

Zany? Off-the-wall? Kill Bill?!

What qualities of a script do you consider Hollywoodified?

Have you had actors speak your dialog? Have a reading and listen to it out loud.

Back