movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

I'm working on a script that will take place in 1 or 2 locations with 3 or 4 characters

:thumbsup:

I don't want to discuss the last movie I saw because it's shitty. The last movie I've seen that is worth recommending is Lion. I think it might be a little over-hyped as a Best Picture nominee, but it's emotionally affecting, and surprisingly breezy.

i watched the original Star Trek: A motion picture

lots of fan service. quaint by some regards. but i enjoyed it.

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Pretty picture, sounds good, lots of gunplay, entertaining.

I like Denzel if everything but really, in 1879 I seriously doubt an African-American is going to be running around in the west gathering up a group of guys to take out a robber baron, much less being hired by a lone white woman at that time. I don't mind leaps of faith in sci fi and such but when it is in a historical perpective let's have a little freaking realism.

Love D'Onofrio but his voice is this was aggravating and sortof whiny.

Just my 2cents..

Just before I go

MV5BNTE5MDA0NTk4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY1MDUyNTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,680,1000_AL_.jpg

Directed by courteney cox of "friends" fame, this is her only thing she's directed that wasn't made for tv. It's interesting seeing sean w scott playing such a different character than stiffler or dude where's my car. He's a thoughtful adult trying to get some closure in his life before he kills himself.

It's a predictable film but not bad.

Sixth Inn of the Happiness (1958) - A

Great story (Based on a true one)
Fantastic production scale
Solid acting even if it can be cheesy
Golden age of filmaking
Love the editing

Cons:
Title of movie could be much better
Love story seemed forced

Arrival

B-

(spoilers)

To understand the movie is like understanding a story that has no point. I enjoyed watching it but I don't think it holds up over time. It's about communication and time but the time element doesn't really make much sense.

Hidden Figures (B)

Really good story about intelligence and crappy social situations. Plus there is no smoking in the movie.

Alien Covenant: While waaaaaay better than Prometheus and relatively enjoyable, this film diminishes the terror of the starbeast considerably. I came out of the cinema entertained, but then my brain started to process what I'd just seen. I then ran home and watched 'Alien' and lo, the beast was suddenly a little less interesting. It suffers in my the same way as Star Wars in that the intimidating, vicious Darth Vader was reduced to a whiny, petulant brat. 2.5 out 5, but then I'll give a half point for being lovely to look at. And for Fassbender.

Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates
Based on a true story.

I love the cast!!

Adam Devine from workaholics / adam devines house party
Zac Effron from neighbors, neighbors 2, baywatch is really proving himself as a comedic actor. He's a lot more than a pretty face and body

Anna Kendrick - Finally breaking out of her character actress sterotype and being someone new
Other girl - that sexy evil parasite chick from the tv show Legion

All 4 of those people are great to watch on screen.
Most importantly the cast was utilized. Some ensemble movies waste the talent of their actors.

Spellbound (B)

Really great story use of psychology and the effects of it. It tended to be really sappy during some of the romantic parts. The way the camera shoots the characters in a portrait way was really interesting.

The Invitation

Had an interesting premise, a lot of chaos and suspense in a small environment. Unfortunately the film used typical crutches towards the end. Would have enjoyed it more if it remained dark instead of getting sentimental.

Anyone seen Night of the Hunter? 1955, B&W Robert Mitchum

The first 15 minutes are surprisingly very fast paced, so much story is told. Stylized overall, dramatic, expressionistic.
The imagery & dialog explaining the preacher's tattoo of Love on the fingers of his hand, & Hate on the fingers of his other hand were recreated in Do The Right Thing.
Its cinematographer Stanley Cortez also did The Magnificent Ambersons, directed by Orson Welles. Some very interesting deep focus, expressive use of light & shadow, with particularly chilling & beautiful sequences in the middle & near the end.
Directed by Charles Laughton, more known as a film actor & director of plays. Audiences & critics didn't like it upon release, & Laughton never directed another film. But it gained acclaim through the years, & in 2008 Cahiers du Cinéma chose it as the 2nd best film of all time, behind Citizen Kane.

https://gomovies.to/film/the-night-of-the-hunter-4704/watching.html?ep=416706

I am so sorry about Hollywood. IT is going to a bad way to score stupid films more. The science fiction films and etc are of these..
Once USA cinema had innovation in tech and this was the time the Lord of the Rings were born. 300 was so, but the result was a really bad movie.
I like small movies which rock, I say they are so good that will rock the world, the films like Phone Booth and No Country For Old Men (the last film I watched).
I like Raising Arizona and watched some of it recently, too.
All three I score are 10/10......
Don't forget "Bridge of Spies" 8/10...

Thanks!

Back