What next?

Hello,

I am a aspiring indie movie director. I am almost done with my first screen play. I know I need to get it edited and have other read it. But after that I am kind of lost.

I get idea for movie - I write screen play - I get that edited - and then.....

Please help because right now it feel very overwhelming! :no:

When you're happy with the script and ready to shoot, you'll need to break it down. This is basically going through and figuring out what locations, time of day, props, characters etc are in each scene. You'll also want to get an accurate eighths count. With this information, you're ready to schedule.

If you're not sure how many pages of script you can shoot in a day yet, better to ere on the side of caution. Lots of factors will determine how you schedule the scenes, but generally you should try to group locations together, then further group those by time of day. Try to do exteriors first, so if you get bad weather, you can choose some interior scenes to shoot as a "cover set". Other factors will be actor and location availability. I generally schedule a feature multiple times, and it keeps changing as we shoot depending on factors.

You'll need to cast the movie. If you're just starting out, this will involve asking friends and family to be in it. Get some experience.

When shooting, having some snacks and water in an ice chest go a long way to keeping people happy. If you're filming all day, get a couple $5 pizzas for lunch. You don't have to break the bank, but people like food. Keep your people happy and make sure they have fun so they come back when you need them again.

Next is editing. I always edit my own stuff, so I can't speak about working with another editor, but good editing is an art of it's own and will take practice.

For your first films, go ahead and use whatever music you want if you're only showing friends and family. If you're going to put your film online, you can buy music, hire people, or create your own with something like GarageBand or Mixcraft. Both can do looping or MIDI.

Publish your film online for all the world to see. Be prepared for hate, it's going to happen. If you don't have a thick skin, never show the film to anyone. Be open to good criticism though. Learn from your mistakes, and make another.

Have fun, always do your best, and improve every time.

^^ I always advise against pizza but it can work if you know your cast.

Actors and Actresses base their livelihoods on their appearance and generally don't like eating super calorie dense foods like pizza. At least that holds true in my experience. I've had actresses that would rather go hungry than eat pizza.

^^ I always advise against pizza but it can work if you know your cast.

Actors and Actresses base their livelihoods on their appearance and generally don't like eating super calorie dense foods like pizza. At least that holds true in my experience. I've had actresses that would rather go hungry than eat pizza.

True. I'm referring more to when you're using friends and family who don't care.

Hello,

I am a aspiring indie movie director. I am almost done with my first screen play. I know I need to get it edited and have other read it. But after that I am kind of lost.

I get idea for movie - I write screen play - I get that edited - and then.....

Please help because right now it feel very overwhelming! :no:

how long is your screen play? have you ever filmed anything before?

do you have a camera and a microphone? what about lights

Back