• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to start a feature length script and actually finish it?

A lot of us have had this dream of taking the time to write out a feature length script. But unfortunately, we usually fail and it remains just that, a dream. I myself am guilty of this; and excuses aside, I've decided now is this time that I write that script. I'm 18, with no job, and I start film school in 3 months. I have made it my goal to finish my first draft before school starts at the end of September.
I have written many short scripts before(longest was about 25 pages) but a feature script seems like a daunting task. I tried once before and failed. This time I want to make it happen.

I would love to hear from you guys, your experience with writing a feature script. What worked? What didn't work? How did you make it to the end? Be as detailed as you want, I'm listening:)

First - Are you writing this as a writer/director or as a spec script to sell?
If writing as a w/d you can pretty much do whatever you want - with some... considerations of industry standards.
If writing as a spec script to attract the attention of an agent who acts as a tripe filter between writers and studios then you'll need to pretty strongly adhere to spec screenplay format guidelines.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12721428/Professional-Screenplay-Formatting-Guide

Second - determine A. the market for the final product, and B. the likely distribution channel(s).
"WTH do those have to do with anything?"
Actively KNOWING the audience the final piece is for will influence your creative process in a positive way. It forces you to be smarter, less sloppy.

20120213FilmDemographicQuadrants.png

How are they going to see it affects the entire budget consideration as you're crafting the story.
As crappy the films are that Lionsgate, Anchor Bay, and Magnolia distribute they still have minimal production standards.
Now, if you're writing Pot Zombies II for Troma to pick up then you'll creatively design your story different than if you want to write Resident Evil:XIX.

Third - start writing any way that makes you happy.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=38575
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=38360
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=37962

IMO, you might be better off jotting down ideas, perhaps outlining a treatment and letting it simmer in the back of your mind for a while.

That way, you'll get a much better idea of your story and your characters, and you can focus on other things, look at other things that will inspire it.

If this is the idea yo ureally want to make, wait til fil mschool. They'll teach you and guide you with your writing of a script. And then you can send drafts to teachers and they'll tell you whats right/wrong with it.
You don't want to write it and then get into film school and go 'oh damn I should've done that!'

I begin with an idea for a movie that I would like to see. I start with the beginning and the ending then figure out a few key events within the story. Once I have put the elements into chronological order, I play connect the dots, figuring how to get from the opening scene to the first major event, then from there to the next, and so on until I get to the end. It also helps if you have developed character cards for all of your major players so that you know how they would react to certain situations and how they should sound. Other than that, it's simply a matter of putting in the keyboard time. I can't write at home so I usually go to a coffee shop because I have little or no interest in the location.

Stick with it and make it happen.

NUTSHELL. Random thoughts.

I will give you my honest perspective as someone who is not rich or famous and knows no one that is rich or famous.

Write! Daily. Make it a habit. BETTER YET. Love it. Make it an addiction. Carry a notebook around with you where ever you go and keep notes of what you see, hear and feel. I do this with dialogue all the time. I also keep a notebook by my bed cause my (subconscious) brain at rest comes up with GREAT ideas in the middle of the night.

Experience everything. No fear. Life is living and that is the essence of writing! Love that girl (or guy)? Don't be shy -- ask her out (or him). Got shot down? Hey, that's the basis for a great many 'human' stories that have sold well since the beginning of time as comedy and drama. 'What if (?)' always kicks ass, e.g. I just did Zion and Arches (hiking) took pictures, video and I got ideas for many, many stories!!!!

But you got to do it. Live. Write. Experience life and record it.

Read as much of everything as you can digest -- that's fiction, non-fiction and screenplays (good, bad and ugly scripts -- understand WHY they are good, bad and ugly). See movies, (also the good, bad and ugly -- for the same reasons -- e.g. you can understand what NOT to do with a 'bad' one).

Network -- don't be shy, but be honest. 'Screw ego', record life in your head.

In the end, it all comes down to 'love writing'. LOL, have many scripts out there. Some writers have given me 4.5 stars (or better) out of 5 on my work, while others won't give me the time of day -- yer a one star dude (cause "yer werk sucks!")... HERES THE KICKER! They might be right -- I have never sold a script (been writing a long time too). To me that just means, I have never found a smart buyer... to someone else "yer werk sucks!" LOL (always reply, "read the work and decide for yourself").

Bottom line. These are the movies I WANT TO SEE on the screen. As a film maker, these are the movies I WANT TO MAKE. They are fresh. Not derivative. Formatted correctly (a must do in order to be taken seriously). Make it fun (for yourself and the reader) and make the script 'read' like one is watching a movie. Allow the reader to visualize in their own realm YOUR story.

Am I a failure for not having sold a script yet? I do not have my foot in anyone's door. I am not rich or famous, etc. but I love writing. Put another way, I do the writing cause I love it. Honestly, there is no easy answer to success unless you are 'lucky' or "born with a silver spoon in your mouth or have one close by" (a line from one of my copyrighted scripts).

My two cents. Hope this helps.

Also, always copyright your stuff (it is cheaper online). Then get your script out there to be read. Maybe you will catch the right eyes. I obviously have not. I love writing scripts but hate mailing inquiry letters and won't spend money on competitions.

I would love to hear from you guys, your experience with writing a feature script. What worked? What didn't work? How did you make it to the end? Be as detailed as you want, I'm listening:)
What worked for me was "butt in chair" for five hours each day or
until I had five pages. What didn't work was finding reasons to not
write - and I found at least 237 each day.

You say you don't have a job - now you do. And it just a part time
job - five hours each day, six days a week. If you finish five pages
a day (30 per week) you'll have a finished feature in one month.
Then you can reduce your oppressive summer work load to three
hours per day, five days a week and have two months to do your
rewrites.

If you can get more than five pages finished in five hours, do it. But
do not leave that chair until you have five pages. I know most people
see writing as a creative, feelings based endeavor - I do not. I see
writing first as a job, then as something creative. That's another thing
that made it work for me. when I allowed "writers block" to be one
of my reasons to not write that didn't work for me.

Some more words of advice... (left out from my above rambling).

The first draft -- is just that, a first draft. I recommend setting that first draft aside for a few months (I do for about six months). Let it age and collect dust. Away from your eyes and memory. Dig a hole and bury it. After a period of time, read and start your first rewrite. I do as many as twenty rewrites before I let anyone else read.

Although with rushed projects, based upon the project's timing (e.g. work for hire and wanted ASAP) and/or need for improv by cast, there are always exceptions (LOL e.g. DEAD SUN RISING).

Always recommend, writer's do read-throughs with 'actors' for polishing dialogue.

Take your time. Everyone works different -- but you have to write daily. DAILY. Quality comes with rewriting. Rewriting takes time. And rewriting is work! So make it fun. Daily. Hope this helps...

3 steps

script should be written and look something like this

1. intro characters and plot- first 30 min
2. story-1 hour
3. conclusion of story-last 30 min

2 hour film complete

To OP

How do you finish? By REALLY wanting to write that movie. Writing your movie is a first "test" on how badly do you want to write this movie. If you have a problem finishing the first step, you ll run out of steam by the time you ll begin your actual production.

Do you REALLY want to write this movie? If you do them you would sit down and bang out the script because it's so f@cking awesome that it's burning inside of you and tries to get out!

What helps me to write my short film (and finishing my first draft of a feature, and yes I'm still excited about it lol) is that I went out and got some cool props that either my characters would wear, or some specific prop that is essential to the movie. I would look at that prop and think to my self "oh sh*t that's going to be a great movie". That instantly motivates me and I go back to writing.

But, essentially, it comes down to how bad do you want to finish it.

Back