Another Copyright Question

I was watching this nice video posted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KOsPD3H6cI

And that got me to revisit the Copy Right .Gov site. And I thought I'd just initiate the "register a claim" process via the eCO thing, even though I have nothing to register at this time. I just wanted to see how it went and if it takes you to a page where you can upload a video that you want to register or whatever.

The first step is captured by the screen grab below. And right away I'm confused.

This help page only concerns me more.

I suppose I'm being thick. But which box would the typical indie or YouTube filmmaker click for the second statement: The work being registered was created by one person?

I mean, I guess the answer is easy if you've created it entirely by yourself. But what if you had a DP, a sound recordist, Make-up, etc? I mean, if you click the "No" box, will you be spreading the copyright out among everyone who worked on the film?

COPYRIGHTREGISTRATIONPROCESS_zpsd2adec5f.jpg

Last edited:
Did you click on the links? I'd hazard a guess they'd define the meaning of each term there.

It'll probably mean entity more than a specific person. Though it'll probably also mean that you've had the appropriate releases giving you the ownership of said piece.

On top of all that, I've heard a saying that a general practicing lawyer knows enough to get you in trouble in entertainment law. Can you imagine the trouble you can get into when you ask the general public for legal advice on copyright.

Good luck.

I mean, I guess the answer is easy if you've created it entirely by yourself.
No movie is "created" entirely by one person. Although I can see
your confusion.

Ask yourself; who will own the copyright of the finished project?

You? You and the DP? You and the DP and sound recordist? You and
the DP and sound recordist and the makeup artist? Did the DP create
the work or was the DP the director of photography in charge of the
photography of the work? Did the makeup artist create the work or
was the makeup artist in charge of applying makeup on the actors of
the work. Do you want everyone who worked on the film to co-own
the copyright of the finished product?

If you believe that every person who worked on the movie (don't forget
the actors) is the "creator" of the movie then you must list every one
of them and they will all be owners of the copyright.

Thank you, guys. =)

So, if I understand you, Rik, it would be appropriate for the owner of the films, who owns the releases, to check the "yes" box. I hoped so. But I was like, oh, uh-oh, that's a bit confusing.

Thanks again to both of you.

Back