DCP Levels slightly off

Hey guys,
I know there are already a lot of threads regarding this topic, but I couldn't find one about this specific question.

I've exported a DCP directly from Adobe Premiere Pro CC2017 and it worked really good. I've also had it tested in the cinema and it works fine. The only thing I've noticed is that the levels are very slightly off compared to the original timeline. It's a tiny little bit less saturated and the black and white levels are slightly off. I mean really not much, not like a conversion from 0 to 16 or something like that, but in very dark parts I can see a tiny little of noise in the DCP when it used to be pitch black in the original timeline.

Does anyone of you guys know about this problem? Or is it maybe no problem at all because it will look fine in cinema? I can't make it tot test it for myself in the cinema unfortunately.

Thanks!

DCPs are encoded in P3 colour space. You're likely viewing at home in REC709. They are close, but they're different. You'd need to grade on a calibrated P3 monitor for it to translate correctly

Thanks for the reply.
I thunk that Premiere ist using the X Y Z color space for DCPs. That's what DaVinci and Premiere tells me when I check the DCP.

You need to colour within the DCI-P3 colour gamut (technically P3 sits inside CIE XYZ colour space). You might be able to use a transform that gets you in the ballpark, but for the best results you should grade within the correct colour space and gamut.

Back