Unlimited Theatre Pass for $10 a month

Wait a minute... how will the movie producers get payed?
Don't they get a certain % of ticket sales? At least in the first few weeks of the opening?

Read the thread and your question will be answered.

Yes sir! Right you are!

There is no loss. They pay the theaters and sell your movie habit data. If you see 15 movies in one month, they have more data to sell. They are now in the data collection and analytics business as well as the movie business, as, MoviePass just sold a majority stake to the data firm Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc.

Flew over my head first time :]

Last edited:
The company reports that it works by buying movie theater tickets for its subscribers directly from exhibitors at whatever price they offer. That means that MoviePass is operating at a loss, and playing the long game. Sure, most movie theater owners would rather you buy their own loyalty programs. But if you balked at the idea for fear of ripping off your local indie picture house, feel free to proceed sans guilt.

OK... makes sense now :D

source: Variety

Right, they take a loss now, and potentially sell data later, hopefully works out, as analytics is big business, but I am sure they shopped it around and understood market value for it.

It really doesn't help their business model that the google map on their theater finder shows 0 results for everyone. :lol:

So then why would AMC be against this? Why would they care who pays for the ticket?
If people are tempted to go more often, both theaters and filmmakers benefit.

Thanks for the link directorik!
So basically AMC is concerned that they'll have too many people to clean up after ;]

“AMC also believes that promising essentially unlimited first-run movie content at a price below $10 per month over time will not provide sufficient revenue to operate quality theatres nor will it produce enough income to provide film makers with sufficient incentive to make great new movies,”

This is the part that doesn't make much sense... why would they have a problem with more people attending if MoviePass picks up the bill. Assuming that they can sustain this business model.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Surprise Surprise

To the MoviePass Community,

We’ve been blown away with all of the excitement surrounding our new $9.95 unlimited plan. Though we anticipated a high level of interest, we received an unprecedented volume of traffic. Our customer service team is working to respond to your questions and concerns as soon as possible.

Though our processing facility has increased production, there is currently a 2-3 week delay in card delivery. We greatly appreciate your patience as we work to process your requests. Please note that your first month of service will not begin until your card arrives or you visit an e-ticketing theater. To meet this demand, our production facility has rapidly increased capacity. We sincerely apologize for the delay.

Well this has turned out spectacularly.

they've charged me for the movie pass but never mailed me anything
I've been sending messages for two weeks now and I'm getting completely ignored

How long ago did you order? We ordered our back in the beginning of Sept...and didn't get it until late Oct. They charged us immediately but they didn't charge us again until 30 days after we used it the first time. They are definitely not responsive to support inquiries. My wife and I have used it about a 8 times or so in the last 30 days and we live in a very rural community in Oregon so it does work.

Good luck!

How long ago did you order? We ordered our back in the beginning of Sept...and didn't get it until late Oct. They charged us immediately but they didn't charge us again until 30 days after we used it the first time. They are definitely not responsive to support inquiries. My wife and I have used it about a 8 times or so in the last 30 days and we live in a very rural community in Oregon so it does work.

Good luck!

August 30th

Blech. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it get's worked out for you, but yeah..their costumer service is lacking for sure.

Damn these guys are assholes.
"Please note that after your account cancels you will not be able to reactivate your account for 9 months."

So there is no canceling and re-ordering another card.
And there is no getting a new card. And there is no getting a refund... yeah...

So I am canceling and I lodged my first ever complaint to the BBB

"We have received your complaint and we are currently reviewing it.
Thank you.

Better Business Bureau Serving Metropolitan New York (New York, NY) 30 East 33rd Street 12th Floor New York, NY 10016"

I had to install an app to cancel my service... and it won't let me sign in.
Awesome. It says my user credentials are invalid.

Apparently I have to talk to my bank to get them to stop charging me

the better business bureau came through for me.
moviepass responded to their message and sent me a card and refunded my money.

OOOOO what to see ragnarok, justice league, star wars, disaster artist... .. hmm
the cool thing is that my home is close enough to the theatre I can reserve the tickets without leaving my living room

Back