Time to buy a camera!! ?

Hello everyone. I've been looking for a camera to get for the past while and now I think I've finally found something suitable!

Here's the link to the bundle I may get.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/winnipeg/canon-7d-dslr-filmaker-package/1063008730

Now, I'm a sucker for deals. I looked up the cost of each individual item and this is what I got.

Canon 7D $1000
Manfrottoo 681B monopod with swivel $155
Zoom H1N Digital Recorder $125
Shoulder Mount - $400
3 32 GB Extreme Compact Flash Memory Cards - $300
*He forgot to mention there are 3 memory cards not 2.

So if I were to get everything new it looks like it would cost me around $2000, but I can get all this for around $1000.

The package doesn't come with a lens, but I can buy one separately.

Question is, should I? I'm still very new to cameras, but from what I've read the 7D is a better choice for film than say the T5i. It's like an advanced version. Plus with this deal (I think) I'm getting, it seems like a no brainer. But I would like some input of someone who is more experienced, just so I know for sure.

So what do you think?

I personally think that the goal to shoot for in audio is clarity of sound, not a high price tag.
I've been using an Audio Technica ATR-55 for almost 10 years and the sound is clear as a bell.
I think I paid about $60 for it before it was discontinued.
I based my recommendation on the reviews of the mic on B&H's page, for a basic setup such as the original poster wants, there's no need to spend more on a microphone than on a camera.
All the frequency ranges in the world won't matter that much once you add background noise, sound effects, and music.
Good clear sound is what you want and there doesn't have to be a big price tag on that.
Those microphones that you listed are terrific, but most would also need an adapter to attach into the camera; that's asking for built in noise.

I personally think that the goal to shoot for in audio is clarity of sound, not a high price tag.
I've been using an Audio Technica ATR-55 for almost 10 years and the sound is clear as a bell.
I think I paid about $60 for it before it was discontinued.
I based my recommendation on the reviews of the mic on B&H's page, for a basic setup such as the original poster wants, there's no need to spend more on a microphone than on a camera.
All the frequency ranges in the world won't matter that much once you add background noise, sound effects, and music.
Good clear sound is what you want and there doesn't have to be a big price tag on that.
Those microphones that you listed are terrific, but most would also need an adapter to attach into the camera; that's asking for built in noise.

You should never record in-camera audio on the Canon EOS Rebel series anyways?

Also that's not a high price tag... that is the recommended low budget set up by one of the top audio users on the site... a setup that a lot of indies follow everywhere. Time it right and you can get a lot of this on sale and in bundles with extra stuff.

As well, the camera is the one of the cheapest parts of a filmmaker's kit.

As well, the camera is the one of the cheapest parts of a filmmaker's kit.

Although true, when starting to buy a first ever camera, it is often the most expensive part.
I think it's good to play around with the camera, before investing deeper into better sound.
Why?
Because a lot of people think they want to be a filmmaker only to discover their gear is collecting dust, because it is not as much fun or as easy as they thought.
:P

So, the advice about the sound is true and great, but the OP must know he can start making videos without spending more on sound than on camera. If he is enthousiastic and actively making videos he will soon enough meet the limits of his gear and invest further.

So, the advice about the sound is true and great, but the OP must know he can start making videos without spending more on sound than on camera. If he is enthousiastic and actively making videos he will soon enough meet the limits of his gear and invest further.

Only thing I'd add is that it's a poor workman who blames his tools. If you can't state exactly (and I mean exactly) what you'll be able to do with more expensive gear, you lose all rights to complain about it.

As a photographer, I hear people saying crap like "dang, I wish I had a nice camera so I could take pics like that." All.the.fucking.time. Don't be that guy.

Back