Cleaning up audio

I am having difficult time trying to solve a problem that I am having with my sound. I am far from proficient with audio editing, but I am concerned that the problem might be the sound system that I am using or the microphone. The microphone I use is a Azden SGM 2X, I use a Marantz PMD 670 to capture sound that is primarily dialogue, and I capture the audio at the highest level (PCM 48khz).

When I listen to my audio I hear something that sounds “bubbly” and it makes the audio sound like it’s underwater. I have used a Noise Gate in Soundtrack Pro and I was able to get rid of the hissing tip of noise in my audio but not the bubbly sound.

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of this sound? Am I using the wrong equipment?

you might need to cover mike with something soft & furry.

do tests on your own. figure out what condition creates that bubble sound.

distance to mike. outside wind. interiors.

you should always have clear audio and not have to deal with it thru software.

TEST TEST & RETEST! figure out how to get that bubble sound.

I use headphones when I record sound and I have never heard that sound through the headphones. Only after it's recorded do I hear it. The bubble sound is not limited to just one location or just one shoot but has happened to me over a period of time and locations.

Do you have a sample clip that you can post so we can hear the "bubbly" sound to which you are referring? We could also then take stabs at trying to come up with a workflow to eliminate the offending audio and post our collective solutions here.

As a basic member, you can host it with some of the free file download services (can't think of any off the top of my head - dangit), or on any web server/ftp server you have legal access to... then just post a link to the file.

It sounds like it might be some kind of mechanical noise.. like from an appliance or fan. *shrug* It doesn't seem to be overly distracting though, I think once you've layered in some ambient sound effects, etc it'll just kind of "disappear" into the mix.

Back