Chain of Title

Hi there,

I am preparing to amass proofs of permission for a distribution deal on my film and am unsure about the correct method of presenting them to the distributor.

Although all material has been cleared - in terms of official, signed documents, all I have at present are Release and Agreement forms relating to production.

I have been unable to find information or any sample/examples online regarding all of the specific elements that make up chain of title such as music rights, film clip clearances etc.

For example, with music rights do I need to provide the distributor with specifically-worded contracts signed by publishers/master rights owners, or is it sufficient to show proof (e.g. email correspondence) that the licensor has agreed terms and received payment?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
with music rights do I need to provide the distributor with specifically-worded contracts signed by publishers/master rights owners, or is it sufficient to show proof (e.g. email correspondence) that the licensor has agreed terms and received payment?
An email is like an argument -- not definitive proof like a written contract.

Hope you're considering a major distributor that will do more than just get you on Amazon (Video Direct + rental) and possibly iTunes (usually not worth it), because that's about all that indie distributors do these days. No theatrical distribution, no Blockbuster videos stores (if there's any left) and no Best Buy stores (which only carry the hits). When doing it yourself you don't have to deal with the headaches of proving chain of title, etc.

Back