My Audio Set up (Basic)

Hey all,

I just wanted everyone's opinion / input on the equipment I'm about to buy. I'm shooting a short film very soon on a low budget, and this is the audio equipment I'm getting. Yes, very basic I know it's not the best, but in terms of recording decent dialogue for my film let me know your opinoun. If you know anything else in the price range you thinkwould be better please let me know as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MBP700...007V5J5QC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Rode-Videomic-Shotgun-Microphone-Rycote/dp/B00CAE8PM4

(I'm shooting on a black magic pocket cinema camera FYI. If I need anything else like cables let me know. My knowledge is rudimentary.)

Thanks!

If your budget will stretch that far I would go for the Rode Videomic Pro; smaller, lighter, higher output levels. If someone is booming you will also need an extension cable. Oh, you definitely need some headphones too, with another extension for the boom-op. A "Y" connection if you want to a set of headphones for yourself.

If your budget will stretch that far I would go for the Rode Videomic Pro; smaller, lighter, higher output levels. If someone is booming you will also need an extension cable. Oh, you definitely need some headphones too, with another extension for the boom-op. A "Y" connection if you want to a set of headphones for yourself.

Do you think I could get away with this
https://www.amazon.com/Rode-VIDEOMICR-CPK-Videomic-Extension/dp/B00QCMEXIU/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t?th=1

and

this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00MIXFBL0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I own a few pairs of really nice headphones too.

Both of those links come up not found.

Go with the DR-60mkII. That's going to be the best recorder option for right now.

If there's any way to stretch the budget for the VideoMic Pro, do it. The regular VideoMic may not record as hot with the Tascam recorder (or with any recorder).

Actually, I still hold to getting the VMP & a boom-pole and then plugging straight into the camera.

If you get the DR-60 you'll need a different mic (Rode NTG-1 or Audio Technica AT875). The VM and VMP are Hi-Z (High Impedance) and would need a convertor to plug into the DR-60, which is a Low-Z (Low Impedance) unit. You will also need to sync audio in post.

I subscribe to the motto KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. (I use a much more derogatory term when applying this to myself.) You're just getting started, so don't confuse the issue with "complex" audio set-ups.

As always I recommend that you retain someone who know more about audio than you do. About 16/17 years ago I wandered into an audition for support cast for a community film project. When the director found out I knew a little about sound (actually, a lot) he immediately made me the PSM (Production Sound Mixer). At least I knew about gain-staging, etc. which put me leagues ahead of anyone else involved. And that was the beginning of my career in sound-for-picture. (BTW, I still do several projects a year with the production manager of that little project; she's one of the best producers I have worked with.)

Anyway, after all of that reminiscing and meandering, KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!!!! Get a VMP and plug it directly into your camera. If you progress to the point upon need better sound get someone who knows what the hell they are doing when it comes to production sound.

As a mentor of mine used to opineā€¦ If you don't use it almost every day, you don't need it.

If you get the DR-60 you'll need a different mic (Rode NTG-1 or Audio Technica AT875). The VM and VMP are Hi-Z (High Impedance) and would need a convertor to plug into the DR-60, which is a Low-Z (Low Impedance) unit. You will also need to sync audio in post.

The DR-60D has a 1/8" stereo mic in, same as the camera. There will be no conversion necessary.

If the camera is a DSLR, there's likely no headphone monitoring. No headphone monitoring, no clue what's actually getting recorded. Thohgh, I believe Jack is using a BMPCC which does have a headphone out. Still, being tied to the camera is a big PITA. I agree with "KISS" much of the time, but in this case I think the simplest setup leaves a massive blind spot that can be avoided, or at least restricts movement and mic placement.

Last edited:
The we agree to disagree. I don't want to see him wasting his money and trying to keep up with an audio set-up on his first shoot.

If he's going to go with the DR-60 then I would get a shogun (NTG-1 or AT875) and a hypercardioid (Avantone CK-1 or the sE Electronics sE5) to fully take advantage of the DR-60. Add a boom-pole, bag, cabling, cans, etc., and it's suddenly turning into a major investment. (My $1,200 buying guide.)

The we agree to disagree. I don't want to see him wasting his money and trying to keep up with an audio set-up on his first shoot.

Sure, agree to disagree.

I don't think it's a waste of money. The VMP can interface easily with the recorder for now, and it comes with an integrated shockmount (which would need to be purchased separately from something like the AT-875r). The recorder allows for upgrading the mic later if he starts to take it more seriously, in which case the VMP becomes a stellar scratch mic for on-camera use.

If I recall, Jack also has someone assigned to be dedicated for sound on this project. So, Jack, you have two opposing viewpoints. Take it for what you will.

Sure, agree to disagree.

I don't think it's a waste of money. The VMP can interface easily with the recorder for now, and it comes with an integrated shockmount (which would need to be purchased separately from something like the AT-875r). The recorder allows for upgrading the mic later if he starts to take it more seriously, in which case the VMP becomes a stellar scratch mic for on-camera use.

If I recall, Jack also has someone assigned to be dedicated for sound on this project. So, Jack, you have two opposing viewpoints. Take it for what you will.

I do have someone managing sound, however, my budget is very restrained. I liked the idea of the TASCAM DR-60DmkII with the Rode VIDEOMICR CPK Videomic with Rycote Lyre Mount, 6.25 ft Boom Pole, Screw Adapter and 25ft. Extension Cable. All of that puts me at about $330.00. I'm still confused on it all though...

I see what you're getting at there. Probably would make more sense for me to just do the Rode VIDEOMICR CPK Videomic with Rycote Lyre Mount, 6.25 ft Boom Pole, Screw Adapter and 25ft. Extension Cable. That'll put me at $160.00! Which is great. I feel like it would leave me at a good place for my first project.

Back