Multi part question over Bolex H16 and audio.

I'm soon to be an amateur filmmaker. I've decided to shoot a few sort of long shorts, and maybe a short feature length. I want to use film. Money is quite tight. I'm thinking of using a Bolex H16 to shoot. This poses multiple problems. I know nothing of film, but will suffer hardships for quality. How long can I shoot with an H16? Is that double reel thing suggested? Any other inexpensive film cameras that could be suggested to an amateur that can shoot longer than a super 8? Next comes the problem of audio. A field I also know little in. Though I plan to learn much through practice and such, I'm still quite a neophyte. I was thinking of buying a Nagra. That's what a man from a thrift store told me. The problem there lies syncing audio and video. Any other suggestions for inexpensive audio recording? Is converting film to make editable a pain in the ass? What cheap programs can I use to formulate everything/add a not corny looking title to the whole thing? If converted should I put it on DVD? I'm using a PC. Not super bombass, but are there any good editing programs I can use?

The H16 uses 100ft rolls and 50ft daylight loading
spools. That will give you 4 minutes (100ft) and 2
minutes (50ft) at 24fps.

The H16 does not come with a crystal sync motor
- though some have them - so syncing will be a
problem. Even converting the film to video won't fix
the sync issue. Converting film to video isn't a pain
in the ass, but it's not cheap either. There are many
labs all over the US that will do it.

As much as we try to simplify audio for the folks here on IndieTalk, it is in reality a complex subject.

Your best bet is to hire someone to do the job correctly. "Hollywood" production sound teams cost $600/day and up (and I mean up). As you get lower in price you get less experiences and less diversity in the gear they own. There a lots of guys just starting out in the business who can be had for $100 a day, and sometimes even less. You can even find an up-and-comer looking for experience who will do the job for gas and food.

Owning your own gear and learning how to use it can be a challenge, especially for a newb dealing with having to sync sound in post. You will, at the least, need a mic with a boom-pole, shock-mount, wind protection, cables and a recorder (which Nagra? Very few are still using the old reel-to-reel Nagras any more). Adding a mixer to the kit will improve your sound, provided you know how to use everything properly. You will also need to learn signal chain, gain-staging, mic selection and boom technique; and since you are directing you will have to rely on someone else to do all of that for you. So even if you do purchase the gear what guarantees do you have that the person in charge of your sound will do it correctly?

When it comes to sync you will need to slate both visually and verbally every single take and keep very detailed film & audio logs. And no matter what you do you are probably going to have some drift.

Back