• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How did they do this in the movie Contact?

I assume half of it is cgi.

How would that work?

No, it's actually an insanely easy shot to create. The camera follows her in the hallway like a normal shot, then when she reaches the mirror and "opens" it, it's a different shot. The mirror is a green screen or blue screen of some sort and she just opens the cabinet. The original shot is then horizontally flipped and placed over the green screen.

How would that work?

No, it's actually an insanely easy shot to create. The camera follows her in the hallway like a normal shot, then when she reaches the mirror and "opens" it, it's a different shot. The mirror is a green screen or blue screen of some sort and she just opens the cabinet. The original shot is then horizontally flipped and placed over the green screen.

Ya I thought it would be something like this. And apparently this was a really stupid question foster? :hmm: I thought it was interesting clip to share

Ya I thought it would be something like this. And apparently this was a really stupid question foster? :hmm: I thought it was interesting clip to share

Yeah it is a really cool shot, but I also highly suggest watching the directors commentary. It's one of the best commentaries I've ever seen, extremely informative and points out a ton of spliced shots, camera movement, etc that you would never even notice. and includes of a description of how they did the shot.

I didn't mean to come off like such a smart ass but I see that I did

Yeah it is a really cool shot, but I also highly suggest watching the directors commentary. It's one of the best commentaries I've ever seen, extremely informative and points out a ton of spliced shots, camera movement, etc that you would never even notice. and includes of a description of how they did the shot.

I didn't mean to come off like such a smart ass but I see that I did

I am going to have to check it out, I really enjoy good special feature/commentary. All good man I really enjoy reading your vast movie knowledge posts.

Interesting. I can see that they shot both the exterior (reaching for mirror) and long shot at different times, because in the mirror she has a back sleeve, and in the external she has a red sleeve. Hands/fingers don't correspond to the "reflection" But only do you notice these things under close scrutiny.

My question is, when she opens the cabinet, how do they get the image to shift properly in the mirror? showing the rest of the bathroom..

Interesting. I can see that they shot both the exterior (reaching for mirror) and long shot at different times, because in the mirror she has a back sleeve, and in the external she has a red sleeve. Hands/fingers don't correspond to the "reflection" But only do you notice these things under close scrutiny.

My question is, when she opens the cabinet, how do they get the image to shift properly in the mirror? showing the rest of the bathroom..

The mirror was a green screen

306832_v1.gif

Back