Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Business/Legal

IndieTalk is performing upgrades and will be back soon. Posting is disabled until further notice.
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
Basic Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London
Posts: 1
Question I Visa for filming in the USA?

Hi there,

I'm producing a corporate project - short videos exploring the work of a research science body in the oil/gas industries. The company is based in the UK but also operates out of a university in Illinois.

We're flying our director out to the US with lots of kit - and I'm getting conflicting info on the right visa. Foreign journalists working on news media comes under the I Visa (we're not exactly that) - so does 'educational film' which is very vague. Do you guys think the I Visa is what I need to get our crew? Or another visa, or a business visa?

Thanks - any advice is appreciated. The USA and visas can really be a mire sometimes.
jogewirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
Posts: 17

Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
IndieTalk Moderator
mlesemann's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 2,020
It can definitely be a real more so honestly I'd suggest that you ask an immigration lawyer.
This sounds like a pretty serious project, and it's worth a few hundred dollars/pounds for a consultation to be sure you do it right. There will be a far bigger cost if your crew gets to the US and can't get through Immigration.
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
directorik's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,607
Welcome to indietalk.

Originally Posted by jogewirtz View Post
The USA and visas can really be a mire sometimes.
Visas to the UK can be confusing and nearly impossible so I understand.

The I visa is the way to go. But yes, in this case contacting an immigration lawyer
is the wise suggestion.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Basic Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,716
Corporate project is commercial work: work visum.
According to my logic :p
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Basic Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6
I'd be thinking that if you are not going to earn money there you just need to figure out how long you're going to stay there https://tranio.com/usa/residence/ And sometimes it depends on the country of origin. Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?
heypete is offline   Reply With Quote


travel, usa, visas

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.