Studio Rental

I am in the Northwest UK and may well need a studio for a few days (to make the short film on my bucket list)

I can obviously talk to local studios and ask the obvious questions regarding cost, size, availability etc but would be interested in other people's experiences and things to look out for

Whenever you do anything, you think afterwards "if I was doing that again I would do it differently". As they say, "a wise man does not learn from his own mistakes, he learns from the mistakes of others"

Thank you in anticipation
Bob

You're planning to rent a studio and furnish it rather than a furnished location, correct? I haven't done it that way (yet), but one thing to always think about is noise. Plenty of great-looking locations are noisy, either from traffic and/or construction outside or from adjacent spaces.

Good luck!

What I take into consideration is which is better for the project
vs. the cost.

On one project I needed a bar for a day so we found a practical
location. The downside is we could only shoot there after closing
and we had less control over set decoration and couldn't break
anything. Equipment scratching the floor, someone bumping into
a neon sign, setting up lighting all created limitations and concerns.
And those signs and logos on bottles – clearing them is a nightmare.

Then we needed a bar for a 24 minute single shot scene that included
a fight. I knew we couldn't shoot around logos and signs and we
need more control. So we rented a stage and build a bar set.

As they say, "a wise man does not learn from his own mistakes, he learns from the mistakes of others"
I guess I am not wise. I learn so much from my mistakes and have
learned nothing from the mistakes of others.
As Oscar Wilde said, "Experience is the name we give to our mistakes."
And even better: "All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes."
Which makes me think maybe I am wise...

So regarding the bar - are you saying the studio was the better choice? Or are you saying there are always pros and cons on whether to use a real location or build one?

Back