• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Music Interview project

Hello

I started a new music interview project with Impression Recordings an the artist Robot.

The first interviews came out today and I need some feedback and new ideas.

Interview with Shaun Nunutzi: https://youtu.be/u0eiMQys2jc

Do you think it's interesting? What would you add to a concept like this and how do you like the production?

All feedback is welcome and I would love to hear from some people who are experienced in this field!

Shouldend we hear some parts of performances.... or you know...music.

Well we want to make interviews where you feel close to the artist and by that wants to know more about the projects he or she is working on because the person seems interesting. If you know what I mean? :)

Yes please, need to hear music or this becomes hard to watch simply because it's a talking head and unknown (to me) artist... and literally if this was Kurt Cobain talking for five minutes, you bet they would be cutting to quick clips of live performances, recording studio, album teases, etc. speaking of... when he mentions the new record, umm, you need to cut to a quick tease (album cover art, 5-10 seconds of a song)... technically it's good and I like the visual cutaways and fonts etc.

Yes please, need to hear music or this becomes hard to watch simply because it's a talking head and unknown (to me) artist... and literally if this was Kurt Cobain talking for five minutes, you bet they would be cutting to quick clips of live performances, recording studio, album teases, etc. speaking of... when he mentions the new record, umm, you need to cut to a quick tease (album cover art, 5-10 seconds of a song)... technically it's good and I like the visual cutaways and fonts etc.

Hmm okay, good feedback. I'll keep that in mind and see how this can develop into something like that.

We do however not want to keep it very commercial, it shouldn't be like the standard music interviews..

I'm a musician too and if you did one of me I'd be pretty disappointed if you didn't play any music at all. This does not make me want to seek out this guys music, why? I have no idea of what it even sounds like or the genre.

Can I give some perspective? Imagine a 7:34 minute interview with a cinematographer, and not showing any of his work.

Can I give some perspective? Imagine a 7:34 minute interview with a cinematographer, and not showing any of his work.

Haha I get your point, good feedback! We were planning more of having the content regarding the artist in the information section below. I will absolutely take this into consideration. I was hoping the audience would feel as if the interesting personality would make them interested in looking up the artist more, no matter the genre of the music.

Thanks a lot for giving such specific feedback :)

No problem. If the band has music videos or live videos you could do quick cutaways to lyrics that make sense to what is being said in the interview. Example:

"We've been on the road for three years, sometimes we get on each others nerves..."
cut to their song with the chorus: "You're driving me crazyyyy"
cut back:
"...but we're family and families don't always get along"

Also you could start the interview by showing the band playing live for a few seconds...

Today we are with ____ from ____ (cut to clip)

So, people don't really listen to music because the person making it is "interesting"... You listen to music because you like the music.

I know where you're coming from though. I have a podcast, and when it began it was focused around musicians. Soon I realized that with musicians, the most interesting thing they do is their actual music. There are exceptions, but it seems like if you're really good at expressing yourself through music, you're not going to be great in other ways of expression.

I remember Smutcave doing some interesting video's with artist. Look how insane this is.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X83VVsZ2xIk This makes me feel close to them... this freedom and randomness.

Also... I strongly disagree with the statement that musicians, the most interesting thing they do is their actual music. As a underground DJ and producer I see musicians that are more than only musicians. Visual artist's, philosophers, anarchist's, feminist's, mgtow's, insane people and comedians. Darm.... I just watch't the new video from Jon Lajoie. WHAT A MASTERFUL VIDEO CLIP!!!

Last edited:
I remember Smutcave doing some interesting video's with artist. Look how insane this is.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X83VVsZ2xIk This makes me feel close to them... this freedom and randomness.

Also... I strongly disagree with the statement that musicians, the most interesting thing they do is their actual music. As a underground DJ and producer I see musicians that are more than only musicians. Visual artist's, philosophers, anarchist's, feminist's, mgtow's, insane people and comedians. Darm.... I just watch't the new video from Jon Lajoie. WHAT A MASTERFUL VIDEO CLIP!!!

In my 20 years of experience working in the music industry... It's unfortunately not the case once you separate the people who think they are interesting from the people who actually are. There are a lot of wannabes out there. Even with the legit musicians, they usually get there because music is the only/best way they can express themselves.

In my 20 years of experience working in the music industry... It's unfortunately not the case once you separate the people who think they are interesting from the people who actually are. There are a lot of wannabes out there. Even with the legit musicians, they usually get there because music is the only/best way they can express themselves.

Rock music and Pop?

Well we want to make interviews where you feel close to the artist and by that wants to know more about the projects he or she is working on because the person seems interesting. If you know what I mean? :)
If the musician is someone very famous whose music I have heard
for years I would be interested in feeling close to the artist. But if
the interview is with someone not worldwide famous I very much
want to understand their work as well as who they are.

This interview made me feel cheated.

Rock music and Pop?

All genres, but I'm mainly referring to musicians who are professionals, or who are at last making a full-time go of it.

I've worked in and owned studios where all types of music were recorded, and I've also been a live sound engineer for companies that have been hired by rappers and orchestras alike. I've also managed rehearsal studios where you see all types of musicians. That's in addition to my own experiences playing in bands, DJing, selling instruments, and producing music professionally since 1996.

The biggest "aha" moment for me concerning what we're talking about, was when I was an A&R guy for a year and a half. During that time, I saw the reality for most musicians; the BEST musicians are almost always BEST at music... meaning anything else they talk about really isn't as interesting as the thing they spend their entire life working on (music!). I'm not saying that's everyone, but it's just common sense when you think about it.

Last edited:
Makes sense....it is where the heart is. Most people I like in music are multitask, hobbyist's or very underground. Not much money in making music alone.

Back