• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Looking for a collaberation

Hey, It's me again, with a non-composing realated post!

I've had an idea for a film (possibly) and I'd like to work with someone to get it into some sort of shape, script, screenplay, storyboard, whatever. Ideally I'd like to work with someone who can help me write the script, then co-direct, or even entirely direct, the end product. I'd also appreciate any opinions on what I have so far. It's not the sort of thing I usually write, and i feel that without some help I'm treading rather dangerous waters as i can see the film as turning into a film I'd hate if I went to see it, but it also has the potential to be good. I don't have much as yet, just a rough plot outline andsome ideas of things that I don't want it to be. It's set in the near future, and that's always a dangerous setting as it needs to be more realistic. Anyway, I'd apreciate any thoughts, and REALLY appreciate anyone who wants to work with me to (at first anyway) turn it into a script.

Ok, so here's the idea. Its not much, and it is, so far, without any characters at all, but here goes.
Just realised, it must be clear to everyone that this film is british, with no reason other than that I live here and it is integral to the plot and setting that it is set in britain as it reflects the current state of the country. Well, sort of...... maybe.

Anyroad..........

As I've mentioned, it's set in the near future, say 2011. There has been another major terrorist attack on America, fairly reccently. The current government achieved power by playing on the fears of people, and promising higher security and a terrorist free country. Relations have begun to disintigrate between us and europe, and also between us and America. Mid-way through the governments term a campaign is, at first subtly, introduced which gradually creates a feeling of panic in the general populace, as they are told of the increasing terrorist threat, and that a terrorist attack is immenent in the UK. This government "awareness" campaign continues, and they use it as an excuse to impose privacy infringing laws on the public. I haven't thought in detail about these laws, but it should begin small, increased CCTV for instance, and increase to complete control. Amid all this a terrorist attack IS made, on a major city, with large numbers of casualties, this creates chaos, amid which the government tightens is grip as the people need something to hold on to. The government then abolishes opposing parties, effectively making the country a dictatorship. After this, I'm not sure what the conclusion of the film should be.

As you can see this is a work in progress, and I rather need help finishing it. Here are some things I don't want it to be, and some of the dangers I can see. If you can see any problems that I haven't then please let me know.
Firstly, I am aware that it is a very politically charged topic. This worries me, as I do not want to nmake a propaganda film, and I could see that that is what it may become. I don't want it to preach politics to people either.
I can also see that a film like this will unescapably draw parallels with 1984 and Brave New World, and films in a similar vein. There are a good deal of films about distopia and utallitarrianism about, and so it may be hard to set this film aside from those. Certain aspects of plot similarities are unavoidable (e.g. CCTV similar to the screens (what are they called again?) in 1984,) but I hope to be able to avoid many similarities.
One way in which I want to distinguish this film the other two I mentioned is that I do not want the film to be about an individual coping with the distopian society, but instead focus on the events leading up to its creation. The problem that I face when trying to achieve this is the need for a central character. The film could end up as a boring dirge without a character with whom the audience have some sort of link. the character would also benefit from being somehow removed from the society which is crashing around him. however, this should NOT be done with that ever-so-cheap device FLASHBACKS.
I would also like this film to be about the current popular culture, and how it crashes in on itself and burns completely. Again, I am not sure how to do this, but I am going to start by making a list of all of the things that form part of the "culture" to which I am refering.

I'll keep you all posted on that.

Sorry for the HUGE length of this post, but I hope someone out there is interested in this idea. Please reply, I'd like to know what everybody thinks.

Anyway, "Bedways is rightways now," it's getting late.
Matt

Hi, I forgot to mention a rather important part of the plot that I forgot! It transpires, possibly towards the end of the film, that the government orchestrated the attack that caused them to wield absolute power.

Nique, I can't find that show, do you know what it was called?
How close a resemblance does it bear to my idea?

Thanks for that, I should avoid making it too similar to that too. However, I think that the two are different enough to make it work. I'll have to get hold of a copy and see how similar they are. Thanx alot

Back