how to prevent sloppy work?

sloppy as in sloppy camera angles, positioning, movement etc.

how long do you take to set up a shot and how do you decide thats the best spot to shoot your angle from? If you take 30 seconds setting up your shot its going to be garbage unless youre a pro already. :no:

In the video, the footage was a bit shaky, and opening shot seemed to be off-kitler. The costume choice was poor, and some darker or richer colors might have been a better choice, or some really worn down, more desaturated colors to help bring out the bleakness of the environment, with perhaps some correction & then grading. The blue chair really stood out, too. Something weird was going on with the aspect ratio, and some sweat/panting/closeups of the character that was initially digging would further emphasize his tiredness or tension. The voices were completely out of sync, the music is recognizable, and the overall look and sound of the film wasn't very drab and dark, or ominous, like the dialogue. Nothing seemed suitable.

How do you prevent sloppy work? Identify EVERYTHING that will play a part each scene. Camera, lighting, audio equipment, costumes, set, and everything in post. Know and mark down how each of these individual things will be used, and if they are effective or not. If one is not effective, focus on perfecting that and using the technique that best suits your film. In that clip that you had shown, most of the problems lied in post, but there were still some problems. For one, the costume and prop choice was poor, which stuck out like a sore thumb. If you had chosen a darker chair or spray painted that chair a more grey color, it probably wouldn't have been as distracting as it was. In post, you would have to have spent more time on syncing, trying to match shots through grading, cropping and adjusting the image so that certain shots weren't unbalanced. Also, choose shots for a reason. There should always be a reason for why you're doing what.

Last edited:
In the video, the footage was a bit shaky, and opening shot seemed to be off-kitler. The costume choice was poor, and some darker or richer colors might have been a better choice, or some really worn down, more desaturated colors to help bring out the bleakness of the environment, with perhaps some correction & then grading. The blue chair really stood out, too. Something weird was going on with the aspect ratio, and some sweat/panting/closeups of the character that was initially digging would further emphasize his tiredness or tension. The voices were completely out of sync, the music is recognizable, and the overall look and sound of the film wasn't very drab and dark, or ominous, like the dialogue. Nothing seemed suitable.

I need to start having you critique my movies. You do a great job picking out a lot of small yet recognizable things.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=51129

Find a scene from a film (likely on youtube) and see if you can recreate it yourself paying attention to camera blocking/framing and such.

By practicing more often you will get a better feel for the math mechanics involved.

"Opening shot: Shoot for "perceptual level" rather than actual level. Something I've learned is that while the little tripod level bubble says the camera's horizontally level the image doesn't at all look that way in the viewfinder.
In my nature shots I often gotta manually level for crooked trees or funny angles along vegetation growth lines."

Thanks for those tips again. I've been having trouble with setting up my slider on the grass, its uneven and bumpy.

What do you think the best fix for this would be? Is it just manually leveling both tripods? If the bubble is centered on both tripods does that mean it should be leveled? Or should I be doing something else like getting a flat piece of wood?

If you take 30 seconds setting up your shot its going to be garbage unless youre a pro already. :no:

Practice.

It's possible a pro could put a perfect shot together in 30 seconds - not likely, but possible. More realistically lets call it a few minutes. The thing is it's not the time spent putting the shot together that matters - it's all the time put in before that learning how to put a shot together that counts.

It's like the old story of the guy who calls a plumber to fix a leak in his sink. The plumber comes out, takes a quick look around, pulls out a wrench and tightens one of the pipes, stopping the leak. He turns to the guy and says "that'll be $100 please". The guy looks at him incredulously - "$100! Are you kidding? All you did was tighten one thing! I could have done that myself for free!". The plumber shakes his head. "I tightened the pipe for free. The $100 is for the 20 years experience I have as a plumber, which is how I knew exactly which pipe to tighten".

It's not a question of time - the guy might have spent two hours messing with the pipes himself and never stopped the leak, in fact he'd probably end up just making things worse. Likewise you could spend hours setting up the perfect shot and still have it turn out sloppy, because if you don't have enough practice and experience there is going to be stuff you aren't even aware you're missing. Some shots will take a pro hours to set up, some may take minutes. You may not be able to duplicate those same shots no matter how much time you put in.

So if your shots are turning out sloppy it just means you need more practice. The more you practice, the easier it'll be for you to figure out how much time you really need.

Practice.

It's possible a pro could put a perfect shot together in 30 seconds - not likely, but possible. More realistically lets call it a few minutes. The thing is it's not the time spent putting the shot together that matters - it's all the time put in before that learning how to put a shot together that counts.

It's like the old story of the guy who calls a plumber to fix a leak in his sink. The plumber comes out, takes a quick look around, pulls out a wrench and tightens one of the pipes, stopping the leak. He turns to the guy and says "that'll be $100 please". The guy looks at him incredulously - "$100! Are you kidding? All you did was tighten one thing! I could have done that myself for free!". The plumber shakes his head. "I tightened the pipe for free. The $100 is for the 20 years experience I have as a plumber, which is how I knew exactly which pipe to tighten".

It's not a question of time - the guy might have spent two hours messing with the pipes himself and never stopped the leak, in fact he'd probably end up just making things worse. Likewise you could spend hours setting up the perfect shot and still have it turn out sloppy, because if you don't have enough practice and experience there is going to be stuff you aren't even aware you're missing. Some shots will take a pro hours to set up, some may take minutes. You may not be able to duplicate those same shots no matter how much time you put in.

So if your shots are turning out sloppy it just means you need more practice. The more you practice, the easier it'll be for you to figure out how much time you really need.

ty for your response, i agree 1000%.

I used to always be annoyed by how I would fail expert songs on guitar hero. I didnt realize that playing those notes were almost the same as playing real notes on a guitar. For the parts of the song I would fail on I would go into training mode and repeat the bar over and over until I could complete it.

I thought about filming in the same way for the scene im trying to make. I should be mastering the shots piece by piece until I can film the whole song without failing.

Last edited:
I didnt realize that playing those notes were almost the same as playing real notes on a guitar..

what guitar hero are you playing :huh:
all the ones i've seen are absolutely nothing like playing a real guitar

the only thing close to the real instrument are the drum sets, and thats because the game is basically just tracking rhythm and timing

what guitar hero are you playing :huh:
all the ones i've seen are absolutely nothing like playing a real guitar

the only thing close to the real instrument are the drum sets, and thats because the game is basically just tracking rhythm and timing

i mean the notes are supposed to represent the same notes on a song. when I was learning songs on my kitara I was having a hard time playing the notes as fast as I could, I had to learn them in pieces like I did on guitar hero.

Back