Crowdfunding Your Project Succesfully

So over the years I've read countless threads in this forum on crowdfunding. More often than not, it's usually a new user briefly dropping by to get us to throw money at them, or it's a user that's frustrated/unsuccessful at the process.

As I look at websites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, I notice that a mass amount of projects DO get well funded - surprisingly, in fact. Kickstarter shows me projects in my area, a suburb outside of Denver, actually being funded thousands of dollars. That really shocked me.

Obviously the set-up of your project heavily weighs into how well you will do - Whether or not you have rewards people may want, how your descriptions, videos, and pictures are, and how you update the project - among other things.

It seems to me, though, that successful projects seem to be successful because they already have enough push behind them - especially in communities - I seriously doubt the projects being funded in my suburb of Denver are being funded by people who aren't in the area.

So when an independent filmmaker goes up to bat on these websites, is it fairly accurate to assume that if they don't already carry massive local or online followings, regardless of how they set the project up, it's going to fail? What can independent filmmakers do to get people towards their projects?

I loved the idea of Kickstarter because crowdfunding originally set out the idea that you can be from a dead end town, with little local support, and find it online if your pitch/idea is good enough to execute. As big names like Neil Young start using it for their projects, however, it seems that the original creed of these kickstarting websites is being diminished.

To me, the idea of crowdfunding extended especially to people who don't necessarily have the money to complete a project, but with support, could potentially create a wonderful product - thus why people would support them. It seems that you need lots of fans and money to make any progress towards goals on these websites, though. (Which is why I'm even more baffled by these projects in my local area getting support)

So, for indie filmmakers, what exactly needs to be done to have a successful campaign?

While I hate to give you a "It Depends" response, it really does depend on your project.

You've mentioned most of the obvious areas already. Having an established audience (or rich friends and relatives can also work), offering the right rewards at the right price points.

The best thing that I believe that you didn't mention is knowing your target market. This is critical. From that, you'll be able to research exactly what your audience wants, expects, what has worked in the past and extrapolate what will work and then improve on that. You'll also know how to get in front of your audience. Then learn how to keep them engaged... and actually do it.

One last thing I learned from sales training. You have to ask for the sale. You have to let them know what you want them to do.. Click here, donate this amount, share with your friends. Tell them the ONE thing you want them to do the most.

You SHOULD have an existing fan base.
You NEED to find a good way to promote this through social media.
You NEED an incredibly high quality video that's both attention grabbing and memorable.
You NEED lucid, understandable, and detailed description of what, why, how, and and when.
You NEED awards that appeal to your target audience.
You NEED to know your target audience, study them, and appeal to them in all the ways you possibly can.

I'm from Globeville, just outside of Denver. (near the big dog food factory).

You need to know what similar projects did to get funded.

If I was say, making a horror film and asking for $30,000. I'd find every Horror film that raised 20-50k in the last year and see what they did, I'd also look at every horror film that targeted around 30k in the past 6-12 months and try to spot key differences between which ones made, missed it, and went well over.

Don't only look at what the awards where and how they where priced, but look at everything, how are the descriptions written? Who is behind it? Dig through their public online profiles, maybe even reach out to them ask why they think they succeeded or failed. Google the titles of the films and see what media attention and press they got. What blogs/ websites are tipping points?

Now you have an idea of how to craft your strategy, and as you start working it out you'll have a clear path to success.

It might also depend on what time of year you launch your campaign. For example; do you think you'd have a better chance at getting people to donate right after christmas or right after most people are getting their tax returns?

@Beatlesfan
In addition to the good advice by other posters, here is my 2 cents from checking out, and supporting, kickstarter/indiegogo campaigns:
#1 "if your pitch/idea is good enough to execute. " BINGO. This is hard in this day and age of more people on the planet and more people making films and wanting funding. It is the first thing I notice, how unique the idea is or unique approach to the idea. I think, after my experiences in attempting the same at my workplace or in film, this is the hardest thing to do. You can "execute" any idea, but to make it an audience grabber in this day and age? Doable, yes, but hard.

#2 Develop drafts of your presentation, get it reviewed by potential supporters. Hone it. Hone it again. You want to present your idea in an engaging way at the start. And that means *you* have to be excited about it.

#3 Add resources of your own and let it be known in a positive tone. A lot of people are quickly turned off (as am I) by the approach of "please completely fund my dream film."

#4 Market the correct target audience (per Sweetie post above), and start now with web and print media research, then *join and participate* in user groups and forums early (this in response to your 'not in the local area' comment), so when you hit them with your campaign, you don't come across as a "fly by night" only wanting their money.

Good luck, be positive, stay motivated.

-kjones

Last edited:
Back