• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 30 second trailer for my newest project

No Brainer trailer (Absurdist-Drama)

It's called "No Brainer" and it follows our character "Edgar" as he goes through an absurdest reality where because of his social failures, he has lost his brain. It will be shot in all black and white and there will be no direct dialogue in the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBcFZDvEGU

I just want to get your guys opinion on the trailer and on the idea for the movie. Thanks guys, best of luck.

Last edited:
A trailer should grab an audience immediately. When you watch a trailer, you are putting out an advertisement for your film. You are basically telling your audience why they should watch your movie. You are sparking their interest, and trying to be recognized more than others in your field. You have to put out an attention-grabbing piece of high quality content. That often means getting the attention of people within seconds. Often times when people turn on the radio, they judge whether or not they are going to continue to listen to a song for about 10 seconds. You have to immediately grab people in that first few seconds, and hold their attention until the end. The beginning is the first impressions that the audience receive, and the ending of the trailer is what makes them go see it. Since you're not a well known director and are not working with well known actors or a well known cast, you must find other ways to grab their attention. If it's a comedy, you have to grab their attention with a gag or funny joke that appeals to your target audience. If it's a horror film, you have to set an eerie tone, perhaps with some screaming strings and horrific looking imagery. If it's a thriller, some interesting set pieces and lighting can bring the film to life, then get a progressive pace going with synchronized visuals and music, if it's a science fiction film, grab the attention of them by proposing something impossible but not revealing too much so that they stay interested. Although the way you can determine how and where to place these elements, first identify the audience you are going for. Age, gender, race, and nationality can help you determine these things. Really, you want to appeal to as broad of a group as you can, yet getting all of them interested. Next watch trailers of films that have gained success by appealing to the kind of audiences you are trying to appeal to, especially trailers that have come out in the 2000's. Attention spans and the structure and style of trailers change, and you should use the structure of a more common, modern trailer (unless you are looking to spoof or bring back an older style of film). For example, the trailer for the new horror film "Oculus" is more appealing to most than say, the '77 classic, Suspiria. So watch plenty of trailers, and take elements from those trailers. And once you begin to establish how you are going to either shoot your film to appeal to the audience you have chosen or assemble the trailer based upon the trailers of films you have watched, then you can begin. But really research and play around with it. Certain techniques people love, certain jokes people like, certain topics turn people off, and certain "happy" or "dark" moments can be a real turn off to some. So I suggest you rethink your strategy for your trailer. You shouldn't have to write down what the plot of your trailer was in the original post, you only had to post the trailer and that's all. I wouldn't known what your film was about if you didn't post that. Actually, the trailer didn't really grab my interest at all, it just bored me. All that we saw was an incredibly uninteresting shot with a little bit of text that told us we are going to be watching a movie about a guy... who isn't smart. There was no development of personality, pacing, or anything attention grabbing. Nothing happened.... it was just... boring. But that's not something to get defensive over. Advertising/marketing a film is one of the hardest areas of filmmaking (seriously), and it takes time to perfect the craft of making and getting a trailer seen. There are people who specifically work to edit trailers. Unless you can contact one of those people and you think it's truly worth it, I recommend you instead try to take a stab at doing it yourself, more effectively then the trailer that you've created now. But best of luck with your film, and I look forward to see it. But remember that a majority of people will not have the interest or patience to watch a film with a weak trailer.

To better understand this project, I would like to know what films you watch. So, what sorts of films do you watch?

You can view his profile and find out.

Favorite Film(s)
Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, Psycho
Favorite Director(s)
David Lynch

BTW (French), you only need one thread. Even though the video could fit into one or more sections, the video will appear on the IndieTalk homepage anyway. Might want to take a look at the IndieTalk forum rules... it's good to look at so that you don't violate any of them :)

Last edited:
Back