60d 50fps aliasing?

Hey folks

So I'm shooting a film noir parody on a canon 60d. There's some slow motion shots so I have to go down to 720p to get 50fps. Problem is the aliasing here is atrocious! Is this just the case with the 60d or is there anything I can here? Should I think about renting a different camera if I want slow motion and if so what DSLR's are good for that and avoid aliasing?

Thanks guys!

Keep the camera. Change the background and costumes. You can't avoid aliasing with a DSLR. You gotta keep in mind that this camera is built with still photography as it's #1 purpose. Video is a side-thought.

Aliasing is a direct result of line-skipping. Your DSLR was not built with video as it's primary function. The sensor is way too big for video, there are too many pixels.

You need to avoid brick walls, chain-link fences, clothing with stripes, the list goes on...

Keep the camera. Change the background and costumes. You can't avoid aliasing with a DSLR. You gotta keep in mind that this camera is built with still photography as it's #1 purpose. Video is a side-thought.

Aliasing is a direct result of line-skipping. Your DSLR was not built with video as it's primary function. The sensor is way too big for video, there are too many pixels.

You need to avoid brick walls, chain-link fences, clothing with stripes, the list goes on...

Okay sweet, thankyou, the two main things that im having trouble with are the lamp in the background (which can easily be got rid of) and my eyebrows! I have quite fuzzy eyebrows, but luckily Im just standing in for the actor for test shoots and he has nice trimmed eyebrows haha have you ever heard of an issue with eyebrows or am I just a freak? :P

Oh, and slo-mo has nothing to do with the aliasing, other than perhaps the slo-mo makes it easier for you to see the faults that are there, regardless of the shutter speed.

But I think its the 720p that exacerbates the issue, in 1080p it isn't noticeable at all, and to get 50fps I need to go down to 720p. Does that make sense or am I missing something there?

Though I have never compared them side-by-side, I can imagine how aliasing would be more noticeable in 720p than in 1080p. With the nature of line-skipping, it exists equally for both, but I can see how it'd be easier to notice with less resolution.

I'm confused as to how a lamp is problematic. I love lamp.

Maybe you post some test-footage and we go from there?

Though I have never compared them side-by-side, I can imagine how aliasing would be more noticeable in 720p than in 1080p. With the nature of line-skipping, it exists equally for both, but I can see how it'd be easier to notice with less resolution.

Okay 2 seconds, I'll get it up on youtube

Okay so ignore the weird footage, skip to 0:23 seconds in and see what you think. It hasn't come up in the youtube video as much as when I play it on my computer for some reason, but you can see something weird going in with the eyebrows. The lamp (maybe not a lamp, a light shade?) can be seen in the metal ornamental design around it. Its a bit underlit, but thats kind of the look im going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_Ww6Hx-Ic&feature=youtu.be

Okay so ignore the weird footage, skip to 0:23 seconds in and see what you think. It hasn't come up in the youtube video as much as when I play it on my computer for some reason, but you can see something weird going in with the eyebrows. The lamp (maybe not a lamp, a light shade?) can be seen in the metal ornamental design around it. Its a bit underlit, but thats kind of the look im going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_Ww6Hx-Ic&feature=youtu.be

Hey, that's some really stylistic filmmaking you got going on there! I don't see any problem with aliasing. I think you're over-analyzing. It looks good.

Hey, that's some really stylistic filmmaking you got going on there! I don't see any problem with aliasing. I think you're over-analyzing. It looks good.

Okay sweet! Yeah I think I've just been staring at it for too long, thanks for the help anyway, will come in handy for the rest of the shoot

Ps I love lamp too

Back