Getting the Most Out of Vintage Glass

So I just ordered my GH1 (yay!) and since I'm completely broke now, I ordered 3 vintage lenses (complete with old film camera) from Etsy for $76. Here's the link: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/52405828. So basically, I'll soon have: a 28mm f2.8, a 50mm f1.4, and a 135mm f2.8. I'm not expecting miracles from these, since they're Sears and JCPenney lenses, but I'm hoping whatever weaknesses they have can be considered "quirky" as opposed to "crappy". (Before anyone mentions it, yes, I did also order an m42 to m4/3 adapter.)

Any tips for getting the most out of vintage lenses? Or these lenses in particular? I'm just hoping any of you who know more about lenses than I do won't tell me I just bought three unattractive paperweights...

Just posted some test footage of the 28mm JCPenney lens on Vimeo (here's the link to the screening room thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=201715). I'm actually really happy with the way this lens handled fireworks.

The two Sears lenses that came with it I'm not too sure about yet, but I haven't had much chance to mess with them. So hopefully with some more experimentation I can figure out how to get good shots with them. The main thing I've noticed with them is that they tend to have really funky and unattractive lens flares (as opposed to cool, JJ Abrams-style lens flares).

Just a note..

In the bundle of old lenses/camera gear I bought there's a Montgomery Ward 28mm f/2.8. It acted liked the aperture was stuck open so it's been sitting on the sidelines.

I took it put again this afternoon to see if I could fix it or eBay it (listing as broken but useable as f/2.8 only haha) and sure enough, it has a little silver peg that would normally be pushed in when attached to an M42 camera. When pushed, it allows full aperture control but my adapter wouldn't click it.

A dab of super glue later, and lots of testing to make sure it wouldn't flake off, there's now a 100% working lens.

It is soft though, as expected. Took a sample pic or two indoors and it gave the out of focus areas a nice glow. Not good for everything, but stellar for those shots.

Just a note..

In the bundle of old lenses/camera gear I bought there's a Montgomery Ward 28mm f/2.8. It acted liked the aperture was stuck open so it's been sitting on the sidelines.

I took it put again this afternoon to see if I could fix it or eBay it (listing as broken but useable as f/2.8 only haha) and sure enough, it has a little silver peg that would normally be pushed in when attached to an M42 camera. When pushed, it allows full aperture control but my adapter wouldn't click it.

A dab of super glue later, and lots of testing to make sure it wouldn't flake off, there's now a 100% working lens.

It is soft though, as expected. Took a sample pic or two indoors and it gave the out of focus areas a nice glow. Not good for everything, but stellar for those shots.

Yep. It doesn't have an "Auto/Manual" switch.
The lens is designed to not change the aperture until you click the shutter so you can focus with the aperture wide open instead of stop down focusing. Since you aren't using it on the camera it was designed for that feature doesn't work and it stays wide open all the time. There are two solutions. Super Glue it like you did, OR there are variations of the M42 adapter that have a little flange on them that compresses that pin. Any old M42 lens that doesn't have the A/M switch will behave this way. The flanged adapters are hard to find just because you can't trust website pictures and be sure you are getting one until you get it. I managed to get my hands on a few to avoid the Super Glue solution on my old Yashicas that don't have the A/M switch.

Just a note..

Good to be aware of. These lenses all have the auto/manual switch, so not an issue. But it's definitely one of those things that could be a pain if you weren't aware of it. Thanks!

No, they don't, that's the point. Some lenses do NOT have the A/M switch. they need a special adapter or the super glue treatment.

Later FD Canon lenses are the same way, the AE-1 bodies have a switch that would close the aperture for a preview. The adapter I bought from ebay seller Ciecio7 (at least his FD one) has an extra tab inside. When mounting the lens you line it up and spin it so that it actuates the aperture control and engages it.

Not sure if he has an M42 -> EOS adapter, but it might be worth a look.

Back