Camera's Tripod Threads Broken

How can I fix my Sony Bloggie Touch HD camera's Tripod threads? I need to get it fixed as soon as possible to continue a film. Thank you.

Stripped? Wrap the male threads on the tripod with Teflon tape (found in the plumbing dept). You'll have to do this every time you mount the camera, but it should work for now. I don't believe there is permanent fix for that type of camera.

Couple of options (I'm a motorcycle repair gearhead) for a "permanent" fix.

1. Use a tap and die set and re-tap the hole to a larger size bolt. Not a good option here most likely as all the accessories are a standard size.

2. Get a product called a "Helicoil", they sell them on amazon. You insert it into the stripped hole, then re-tap that to the original bolt size.

3. Make sure you know the "pitch" of the bolt as well must be tapped top crrect size and pitch.

Couple of options (I'm a motorcycle repair gearhead) for a "permanent" fix.

1. Use a tap and die set and re-tap the hole to a larger size bolt. Not a good option here most likely as all the accessories are a standard size.

2. Get a product called a "Helicoil", they sell them on amazon. You insert it into the stripped hole, then re-tap that to the original bolt size.

3. Make sure you know the "pitch" of the bolt as well must be tapped top crrect size and pitch.

Seriously? ;)
Someone who has never tapped anything before is going to try it on a piece of electronics? That's a lot of torque on a little metal embedded in plastic.

Just sayin'. :cool:

Seriously? ;)
Someone who has never tapped anything before is going to try it on a piece of electronics? That's a lot of torque on a little metal embedded in plastic.

Just sayin'. :cool:

Reallly it's not. You turn it by hand, doesn't take much force. The helicoil or some other kind of insert is going to be the only permanet fix I fear. I've done it on a header bolt hole where tapping too deep would mean trashing a $2000 engine.

Reallly it's not. You turn it by hand, doesn't take much force. The helicoil or some other kind of insert is going to be the only permanet fix I fear. I've done it on a header bolt hole where tapping too deep would mean trashing a $2000 engine.

But you know what you're doing. :)

I've drilled and tapped mostly aluminum, so I'm familiar with what you're talking about. Anyhow, I hope I didn't seem argumentative. I just winced a little with the fix.

#1 solution, call manufacturer. Check. You've done that.

If that doesn't work, I would go this route.
duct_tape_baby_mianro.jpg

You know what they say: duct tape is like the force...

Back