• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Archetypes - Do you use them? And when 'yes' how?

In my opinion, protagonist, antagonist or even love interest aren’t archetypes. For me archetypes are e.g. the hero, the side-kick, the joker, etc. But do you use them for your screenplays? Or do you test it on your own, who characters works? And if you use archetype how? And how do I them use useful?

I think the key is that the characters need to be/feel organically part of the story, rather than pasted on because you need type x.

In my first feature (Surviving Family), there's a "wise (wo)man" who tells the main character the truth that no one has shared with her. There is also a sidekick (fiance, in this case) who travels the path with her.

In my second (DETOURS), there's a best friend - which I consider roughly similar to a sidekick - who is an important part of the story.

My recommendation is to develop your characters without worrying about labeling them.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to develop your characters without worrying about labeling them.
This^

Future_Screen, try not to get bogged down with semantics. Your
opinion is the “protagonist” isn't an archetype. Yet the “hero” is
often the protagonist. Semantics. Call the main character the
“protagonist” and - to you - that isn't an archetype; call that same
character the “hero” and - to you - that is an archetype. No matter
what your opinion is, no matter what label makes you comfortable
the character is the same.

The “archetype” is a literary analysis.
Of course, he/she shouldn’t be character xy. I mean to use it as a basic.
Write interesting characters that move the story forward. When
your script is finished you can label them however you want to label
them.

You can't worry about labels before you write your story or you will be trying to shoehorn characteristics into your characters that may not even fit.

Take music for example. You don't label yourself "metal", you write songs, perform them, and let others label you metal. You may not even consider yourself metal. You let others decide.

Same applies here. Write write write!

Archetypes - Do you use them? And when 'yes' how?

I find them useful to use as a shortcut. Minor characters that don't warrant time to explain, it's quicker to use archetypes so the audience understands quicker. Same as tropes.

Have also used to point audience one way and deliver in another direction.

Why all these sound Chinese to me? (I can't say Greek :lol: )
You can use that type of that thing instead of the other type to
achieve that result and then do that thing to create this, that and the other..!
Are you even burned from the head to the toes from an amazing story
that hit your mind? Or are you expecting to create a good story by using that type
of hero and not another type?
Just WRITE, but before that be sure to WRITE and after that WRITE.
Then you will be ready to WRITE and finally achieve a point when you
can WRITE. If you can't do this then just DON'T write.

Back