• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Walking Dead Screenplays

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a Walking Dead script that's more recent (season four or five). All I can find (other than transcripts) are the pilot and the fifth episode of the first season. I really want something written since Scott Gimple has been Showrunner. Anyone?

"Walking Dead" is a curious project as the writer started out as "one of us" He began as just an amateur who made the big time with "Walking Dead" by winning a major screenplay contest.

"Walking Dead" is a curious project as the writer started out as "one of us" He began as just an amateur who made the big time with "Walking Dead" by winning a major screenplay contest.
We ALL start out as amateurs. Have you read about Darabont's background? You might check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Darabont

Quoting important bits which I've highlighted from the article:
"Darabont was inspired to pursue a career in film after seeing the George Lucas film THX 1138 in his youth.[2] Darabont graduated from Hollywood High School in 1977 and did not attend college.[3] His first jobs after finishing school included working as a forklift operator and as a busboy. He claims he got his writing skills from "endless hours" of writing at a desk on a typewriter in his free time, and from his childhood friend Cody Hills, whom he still has brunch with down at the local Golden Corral almost daily to discuss new ideas for his hit show The Walking Dead. ...

Darabont became involved in filmmaking by becoming a production assistant on such films as Hell Night, The Seduction and Trancers. The first film he wrote and directed was a short adaptation of Stephen King's The Woman in the Room, which was one of the first "Dollar Babies" and made the semi-finalist list for Academy Award consideration in 1983. Although Darabont was not happy with how the short turned out, it led to a close association with King, who granted him the "handshake deal" rights to another one of his shorter works, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption from the collection Different Seasons.

Darabont sold his first screenplay titled Black Cat Run in 1986, but it was not produced until over a decade later ... Darabont was approached by Chuck Russell (who was a producer on Hell Night and The Seduction) with an offer to become his writing partner, as he had become interested in Darabont's writing after reading a spec script he had written for the television series M*A*S*H. [NB: Darabont was a production assistant on Hell Night and The Seduction.]"​
Darabont didn't just happen to write "Walking Dead" and become successful. He put in a lot of time and sweat. He didn't just slave behind his typewriter, he was active. He got on the set. He networked. It takes time and hardwork. This idea of a "golden lottery ticket script" is a persistent and dangerous myth. It also belittles the effort that sincere screenwriters put in to secure that "lucky break". Success is about hardwork and creating opportunities, not waiting and hoping.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any THE WALKING DEAD scripts for you, but I wanted to interject.

THE WALKING DEAD is adapted from a comic book by Robert Kirkman. The original writer who developed it in 2010 is Frank Darabont. Darabont was nominated for his first Oscar in 1994 for THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (which he also directed) way before THE WALKING DEAD.

I have no idea about any contests he may or may not have won, but THE WALKING DEAD was not Frank Darabont's first project.

Anyway, regarding the scripts, I haven't found any online either. They might be protecting them pretty tightly as I would assume they plan on selling them in a compiled version at some point. Good luck finding them. If you do, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple either.

Back