Best cheap video 4/3 lenses?

Hey I've decided to upgrade to a Panasonic g7 and buy it with the standard 14-42mm lens. I'm also looking to buy one other lens for it at the moment. I don't care too much for photo, more focused on video so I was thinking about something wider with a low f stop. I've heard about primes but not too sure which one I should buy yet. What would you guys recommend? Also trying not to spend more than $300 because I'm on a budget. Thanks!

If you want a good value-for-money fast micro 4/3 prime you might want to consider the $299 Olympus 25mm f1.8. This lens will give you better low light performance than the kit lens - and will give you fast autofocus when you need it.

If you want something wider, prefer manual focus and/or aperture control - and can stretch your budget by $19, you might want to consider a $319 Rokinon 14mm T3.1 cine lens.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your new camera!

Brunerww, you always have the best advice. Love my new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, however, this past week we shot with it side-by-side with a friend's Canon DLSR and the lens he was using was visibly wider angle. Also, his lenses would not connect to the BMPCC. Would that Rokinon 14mm T3.1 get a wider picture?

dont bother with m/43 lenses if you want cheap, you can easily get other lenses such as nikon AI primes that are fast and cheap, I bought the 50mm F1.4 for £90 and the 24mm f2.8 for £80 and a helios 135mm f2.8 for £20 .. otherwise go for samyang cine lenses

Brunerww, you always have the best advice. Love my new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, however, this past week we shot with it side-by-side with a friend's Canon DLSR and the lens he was using was visibly wider angle. Also, his lenses would not connect to the BMPCC. Would that Rokinon 14mm T3.1 get a wider picture?

Thank you, you are too kind. Yes- the Rokinon would give you a wider field of view, but if you want to use your friend's Canon lenses and get a wider field of view, your best option might be to get a $550 used Metabones Speed Booster for BMPCC and buy Canon lenses from now on.

This will give you almost the same field of view as a crop sensor DSLR and increase apparent aperture by 1.67 stops.

Here are some examples shot with the BMPCC, Canon EF lenses and the Metabones EF to BMPCC adapter:

Metabones Canon EF to BMPCC Active Speed Booster by James Miller

F0.74 - The new Metabones Speed Booster - BMCC & BMPCC versions by Andrew Reid

Comparisons of field of view and low light performance with/without the Speed Booster:

Metabones Speed Booster EF to Micro 4/3 (BMPCC) With/Without Comparison Video - Magnanimous Media

Again, hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you! I think I will experiment with the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 first. My lens collection is pretty limited - two lenses - and they are both Olympus, so not sure a Canon adapter is necessary just yet.

I am totally in love with the "feel" of the BMPCC images and love the wide angle look, so can't wait to see them together.

Back