Where the actors come from?

Just a curious question.
Where does every indie/amateur director get their actors?

In high school, I mostly rely on my friends.
Sadly, most of my friends are shy in front of a camera.
I am having a bit of difficulty on getting actors.

For NY and LA it's easy. For other areas, try the drama dept. of high schools and colleges.

Craig's list is another place to put and ad.

We've shot an e-mail to Talent Agencies letting them know about our little short film and we need actors. Let them know up front what you are doing and that you are a student- translate have no money, and all you can offer is a meal, credit and a copy for their reel. Make sure it's written well and spelled out what you are looking for. It can only be a short one or two day shoot. We've gotten several shorts cast that way. It may not work in a large market like Toronto but I'd give it a shot. You may be surprised.
Good Luck

Join a local acting class.

You'll not only meet a lot of people looking to get in front of a camera, but you'll also learn a lot about acting and actors yourself.

Even if you have no intention of pursuing acting yourself, as a director it's invaluable to know how to relate & communicate with them.

Exactly. They probably have a notice board where you can post a casting call. Ask the dept.

Social networks like Myspace and Facebook are a great way to find actors. Search for keyword actor, and search your general area by distance of zip code--then see what they've done, see if they have any demo work or shorts online...if they have a look, talent, or experience...it may be worth calling them in to audition.

Our neck of the woods (New England) has a social site of it's own called OurFilmSpace...here, many of the noted actors, directors, writers, producers and such have a profile. It's a very cool community with forums, blogs, pictures, videos...all of it. This is a fantastic way for actors to promote themselves, as well as filmmakers and production companies to find cast and crew.
(www.ourfilmspace.com)

On these social networks (as well as fliers posted at schools, cafes, ect) you can advertise for open calls. Make sure you advertise well for this. Give yourself plenty of time (an entire weekend day) for actors to come in. This will bring in a fair amount of people too--depending on where you live.

You can also look on meetup.com or other sites to find groups for actors or film in your area. Rhode Island alone has several meetings a month for actors and filmmakers.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Try Mandy.com or Craigslist. I have had GREAT results with these. You'd be suprised how many actors are in any area that will work for free (or "for experience" as you should write it up in the ad).

FYI--I used to use Mandy, but in the past few years it's yielded very few results. Not to mention, if you're not in a metro area that is listed on Mandy, it's quite useless.

CraigsList can be OK, but there is just so much shady shiet to weed through. Anybody and everybody posts on CL.

There's also another option, and that's to start a meetup group or monthly film mixer. Here in Rhode Island (the smallest state), we have 4 or 5 different ones every month...we are constantly able to network and mingle with local talent and production folks. Hundreds of people move through these events every month. If you're area doesn't host any of these...be the innovator...make it happen. Trust me, if there is a want for it, and a void...your mixer will be a success.

A few more things. If you're still in High School you've got one BIG advantage. I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the States, half of your generation want to be celebrities (I blame Paris Hilton), they don't care how, they just want to be one. So if you go outside your circle of friends, hit the "popular" clicks, you will be turning people away!!! You'll be suprised how many people want to be in a movie. Also, please do what I do. In this day and age, if you go through Mandy, craigslst, or even the paper... please be safe. At 33, I still bring at least one or two people with me when I go to meet someone new. Meet in a public place, and don't be too trusting. Maybe it's the Dad in me, but with the whole Craigslist Killer thing, I just want to see you be safe. Good luck and keep us all updated on your project.

He is absolutely correct. Be safe. Bring someone with you. This goes for an actor going to an audition, as well as holding auditions.

Just one thing to add...and I know this may sound harsh...but please don't cast your picture entirely with High School kids. Unless of course...all of your characters are suppose to be in High School.

:)

There are tons of places to post casting calls depending on where you're location - if you're in New England newenglandfilm.com is a great one and so is ourfilmspace.com - google auditions in your area and see where other people are posting and then give that a shot....

craigslist is pretty universal, but it's shady and the better actors who have been doing it for a while will have found better outlets for finding out about auditions.

....or of course, hire some of the wonderful indie actors on this site *wink, wink* :)

Back