Near miss car scene

Hey guys,

I'm trying to pull of a near miss car scene. It's not a fast near miss, it's just a car coming off a parking lot that almost runs into a guy. The driver stops, and gets out of the car looking shocked, but the guy that almost gets hit over just smiles at the driver, waves his hand and walks away.

I'm uncertain of the angles that I would shoot for this scene, and how to portray this scene effectively. I would really appreciate any suggestions on this. Any recommendation from a clip from a movie with a similar scene would be great too!

Thank you so much!

If you want to make the car look like it is approaching faster, get as close to the walker as possible and shoot with a wider lens.

As it stops, you can cut to a shot from behind the car from far, far away using a longer, telephoto lens to make it appear as though the car got closer to the guy than it really did.

The guys on Film Riot had an episode were they explained how to film car chases. Do a search on their youtube channel.

Have you a GoPro that you can attach to a car - that gives you lots of additional options.

I'd watch some of the Bourne chase scenes and see how they amp up the action/tension - angles etc.

Although you're not filming a chase scene, the angles etc could be the same.

If you want to make the car look like it is approaching faster, get as close to the walker as possible and shoot with a wider lens.

As it stops, you can cut to a shot from behind the car from far, far away using a longer, telephoto lens to make it appear as though the car got closer to the guy than it really did.

Thanks for the suggestion on making the car look faster! That's really helpful!

The guys on Film Riot had an episode were they explained how to film car chases. Do a search on their youtube channel.

Have you a GoPro that you can attach to a car - that gives you lots of additional options.

I'd watch some of the Bourne chase scenes and see how they amp up the action/tension - angles etc.

Although you're not filming a chase scene, the angles etc could be the same.

I watched the Film Riot video. That was amazing and certainly gave me a great idea on the angles. In fact I'll be going out today to check my framing and compositions on this shot. This video has gave me a great exposure on the things that I can do!

I wish I had the Go Pro camera though :/

Thank you so much!

Back