Being a Pervert!

Hi Guys,

Hope you like the title! I've got a question and I am hoping some people can help me out or even people have some experience of this type of filming....

Ok so here goes.... I really like films/videos shot with women in that are very sultry and classy, I think with great lighting and the right surroundings the images/film can look absolutely stunning. I would love to work with some models and do some promo shoots (kind of fashion magazine style **NOT MENS MAGAZINE**) but I just dont know how to approach the whole thing.

My biggest fear is coming across as a dirty old man (well im only 28 lol).

The only slightly similar videos of the type of imagery I mean I can find are:

https://vimeo.com/24316335
(im not bothered about the nude scenes but the face shots and looking over the shoulder is the type of imagery I would like to go for. Less is more in my opinion.)

crossed with this video:

https://vimeo.com/31267673 and some of the imagery.

Basically as you can see its a very fine line in what I want to do and I just dont want to come across as a pervert!

I have a beautiful fiancee who I have chatted with at length about this type of work and she is encouraging me to go for it, so things like that aren't the problem, its just approaching the models and the projects in the right way.

I hope that all makes sense and i wonder if anyone has any advice?

Mark

Honestly, who cares what people think about you and what you are shooting. Filming is an art form and no matter what you do, there's going to be a few people out there that aren't going to appreciate your art form. Just do it man :)

Haha, I have no problem what people think of the films.

I just want to know the best way to approach say girls without them thinking I'm a huge pervert haha

I so have a lot of high profile corporate work behind me which I hope would back me up

So let me get this straight...

You want to do something and you don't want to feel like a pervert asking people to do it?

Are they likely to hinder you from doing something you want to do in the future? Eg. Will they get you fired?

If not here is my suggestion. JUST ASK THEM. What's the worst that will happen? Their pimp boyfriend will hunt you down and kill you for asking his ho "Hey baby, I wanna film you doing some sexy stuff" ??

Here is an idea. Get your fiance to ask some girls to do it? It's unlikely she'll come off as a dirty old man...

But in all seriousness. Its how and who you ask. Just don't be a dick, don't wear a trench coat and try talking to them instead of their chest when you ask. Try to compliment them in why you chose them etc.

Dang, the camerawork in that first link was atrocious. Probably was shot by a dirty old man, unable to keep his hands from shaking in excitement. :eek:

best way to approach say girls without them thinking I'm a huge pervert

"Hi, I'm a photographer looking to expand my portfolio."

Say that into the mirror a few times. You'll be good to go. :cool:

As someone who has been through this, my advice is to have your fiancee with you if you approach random women on the street, or better yet have her make the approach for you. I usually post an add on craigslist or model mayhem. I recommend Rebecca Tun if you are offering to pay the model(s). She is local to you and has a very sultry look as well as being a nude model. Keep in mind that she is a professional and you usually get what you pay for. In my experience, if the model likes your concept, she will negotiate on the rate.

Never meet with the women alone
Be clear and exact about what your looking for
Be excited, have energy about the project
Pay $100.

For Auditions:
Have a female assistant with you.
Lots of "you look fantastic" or "wow, thats amazing" Remember, shes there because she THINKS shes attractive, your not going to shock her by noticing!
Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact, but avoid the unblinking cold hard stare of a sociopathic axe murderer!

Notice other things like shoes, hair, handbag, jewelry, anything to show your paying attention to those "other things. "

Attractive women understand. Its OK. In this case your trying to be on her side of the power equation. its "you and the talent" vs "them"

There is a lot of great info already posted but I just wanted to throw my two cents in:

1) Actress and models are EXTREMELY insecure. The hotter they are, the more insecure they are. What you do with this info is your own choice. You can exploit this fact like a weapon to get what you want or you can let this fact motivate your kindness. I vote you choose the latter.

2) If you're nervous around your actresses, they will get even more nervous. Chances are they are going to be squeamish already. They're terrified that they don't look gorgeous enough. They regret eating chocolate cake last night, not getting enough sleep, drinking that extra vodka tonic. They are in a world of regret and uncertainty that guys rarely understand. On top of all this, they are going to be wondering whether your photography is going to make them look fatter, older and uglier than they already think they are. And on top of THAT, they are going to wonder if you are just some loser pervert.

The trick is get as much practice and experience working with hot women as possible. (Haha, what an awful homework assignment, right?) The more you hang out with them, the more human they will seem to you. And once you start treating them like "buddies," your working relationship will be outstanding.

As for how to approach a girl about shooting this type of stuff in the first place, you gotta have a legit project that will HELP her. Either you're using a nice camera and good lights or you have a great script or you have distribution connections. You get the idea? You have to be GIVING something. Not just a couple bucks pay. Then when you approach her about it, you have to focus on what SHE is getting out of it. And be really up front but don't be apologetic. "So, Nikki, I just wanna make sure you're clear, we will be shooting you with implied nudity. We'll sign a deal memo that says I won't show anything R-rated. We'll have a female script supervisor on set and once we're lit, everyone will leave the room except her and my sound guy. Cool?"

And if she says no, then you say, "next."

There are a lot of girls who want to be sexy in front of the camera. Once you get your situation together, you will NOT have a problem finding women to be in your projects.

Shanked

PS and one more tip, once you have a woman agree to do a project like this, do NOT delay. Even when you spell it all out and the girl completely agrees and says she's super excited and all that jazz, what you'll find is that the longer you wait, the more likely she will flake on you. It's a ticking time bomb. They are going to second guess themselves like crazy. They are going to fight with their boyfriend. They are going to gain 5 pounds. They are going to read some random ass magazine article where Reese Witherspoon says nudity is a bad idea. You can't let these factors creep up and undermine her confidence. Get a verbal or written agreement and then GET IT SHOT asap.

The one video with the nudity in, was kind of perverted, but maybe I'm seeing it out of context. You want to show some sexy women giving sexy looks, but, what's it for, exactly?

I don't know if I agree that actors who are goodlooking are extremely insecure. In my experience it seems the hot girls are the ones who are less shy in front of the camera, but have not done this type of work so far with them, so maybe that's different. But I can see a lot of average looking women turning this down.

Back