Very simple DIY diffusion screen - half hour job!

Hey all,

I wanted something to diffuse my lights so they're not so harsh on my subject.

In the last half hour i drove down to the local DIY store, picked up two long metal tube's, four brackets to fit either end of the tubes, 12 cup hooks, a cheap white shower curtain and two long planks of light wood to the length of the shower curtain. As far as tools go all you need is a saw and a screwdriver! You could even do it without the saw and just snap the wood in half, anyway...

Cut one plank of wood into two, fix one bracket in the center of each piece.

fit one of the metal poles to each bracket so you have two upside-down T shapes.

Take the full sized plank and fit one bracket at each end to the bottom of the wood.

stretch the shower curtain across the side of the wood and mark where the holes in the curtain are.

Place a cup hook where each mark is.

Put it all together, one minute job! Two upside town T shapes facing each other with a plank across the top attached bracket down on the metal poles, attach the shower curtain to the cup hooks.

Volia! Really easy to make super budget diffusion screen, you can even pickup a few workman's lights at the same time and stick them behind it. I got the idea from some chap on youtube but he does have a habit of going on a bit! You can even take the screen apart in seconds for quick packing away.

Oh and if you live in the UK then you can get all this from FOCUS ;)

Well you'd be stupid to put it right next to the lights! :P But seriously, it's cheap-o plastic so as long as you keep an eye on it it then it's fine. I haven't had it melt yet!

Maybe not suitable for a shoot where there's a health and safety manager onboard ;)

Back