• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

High action feature film

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm taking everything you've said into consideration. I'm a little confused to what you mean about sharing details. I have shared details. But again what you've have shared is usual information and I'd like to thank you for it. :)

What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

There are 5 specific questions here looking for specific answers. ;)
I now understand they seem rethorical in nature, but they are not.

You are welcome, btw.

Originally posted by SmithProductions:
I want to stay true to the story without having to compromise a single detail of the story.

Not only will that NOT happen, regardless of the budget, you're shooting yourself in the foot by thinking that way.

And yes, I've been there - I've written & produced 2 features, and at any level you need to compromise.

What have you done so far, besides making the short and setting up the IGG page?
Who did you tell about it?
How many people are in 'your crowd'? (amount of followers on Twitter/Instagram, likes on facebook, subscribers on YouTube, connections on LinkedIn, number of people on your mailinglist)
Did you release press releases?
What social media did you use?
Without this it is hard to offer advice for your next campaign.

There are 5 specific questions here looking for specific answers. ;)
I now understand they seem rethorical in nature, but they are not.

You are welcome, btw.

I've posted on twitter and facebook. I've gotten a few like. I've also posted on google plus. I haven't did a press release.

Not only will that NOT happen, regardless of the budget, you're shooting yourself in the foot by thinking that way.

And yes, I've been there - I've written & produced 2 features, and at any level you need to compromise.

What I meant is that I don't want to compromise so much that it affects the storyline and the audience does not get the full affect.

If I received all the funds today. I could execute my project to perfection, but that's always your biggest issues as a indie film maker is getting the funds for your project.

I'm not saying getting funds is easy, it's not, even at the best of times it's difficult. BUT (!), getting funds is NOT the "biggest issue". The biggest issue is using those funds wisely and making a decent/watchable film! The fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just by getting your funding is the very fact why most of those who know anything about filmmaking would not donate, because we know it takes a lot of skill and experience to even execute a project well, let alone to perfection. So, the fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just given the funding, is a very strong indicator that you wouldn't even execute it well! Do as others have suggested, go out and make a bunch of shorts, to improve your skill and experience.

What I meant is that I don't want to compromise so much that it affects the storyline and the audience does not get the full affect.

Same as above! As mlesemann told you, you will absolutely have to compromise. This statement would still be true even if you got 10 times the funding you're asking for! In practise, the skill of filmmaking is not trying to avoid any compromise, because that would require an unlimited budget and no one (not even the most famous filmmakers) gets an unlimited budget. The skill of filmmaking in practise is knowing how to hide compromises from the audience, even big compromises which do affect the storyline. By not appreciating this fact, let alone actually having the skill/experience to successfully hide compromises from audience, you are demonstrating that you don't even know of the existence of some the basic practicalities of filmmaking let alone have any idea how to overcome them. This is why mlesemann said you are shooting yourself in the foot!

I know you have a dream to make your film, ALL filmmakers do. I'm suggesting you employ some patience and develop some filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience before you try to fund/make it, because you'll need these attributes to stand any realistic chance of making a watchable film and therefore to stand any realistic chance of strangers giving you money to make a watchable film.

G

Excellent advice from APE.

Mark, I saw what you call a line item budget. It tells me you do
not have the knowledge and experience to manage half a million
dollars. Money is not going allow you to make a great film or
even to realize your dream. I hope you take the time to build
your filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience - then you might
be able to attract more people to donate money to a crowdfunding
campaign.

I'm not saying getting funds is easy, it's not, even at the best of times it's difficult. BUT (!), getting funds is NOT the "biggest issue". The biggest issue is using those funds wisely and making a decent/watchable film! The fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just by getting your funding is the very fact why most of those who know anything about filmmaking would not donate, because we know it takes a lot of skill and experience to even execute a project well, let alone to perfection. So, the fact that you think you could execute your project to perfection just given the funding, is a very strong indicator that you wouldn't even execute it well! Do as others have suggested, go out and make a bunch of shorts, to improve your skill and experience.

Same as above! As mlesemann told you, you will absolutely have to compromise. This statement would still be true even if you got 10 times the funding you're asking for! In practise, the skill of filmmaking is not trying to avoid any compromise, because that would require an unlimited budget and no one (not even the most famous filmmakers) gets an unlimited budget. The skill of filmmaking in practise is knowing how to hide compromises from the audience, even big compromises which do affect the storyline. By not appreciating this fact, let alone actually having the skill/experience to successfully hide compromises from audience, you are demonstrating that you don't even know of the existence of some the basic practicalities of filmmaking let alone have any idea how to overcome them. This is why mlesemann said you are shooting yourself in the foot!

I know you have a dream to make your film, ALL filmmakers do. I'm suggesting you employ some patience and develop some filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience before you try to fund/make it, because you'll need these attributes to stand any realistic chance of making a watchable film and therefore to stand any realistic chance of strangers giving you money to make a watchable film.

G

Your clearly misunderstanding what I'm saying. For an independent filmmaker getting funds for your project is one of the biggest issues. Because you don't have a huge studio backing your project. Clearly if you do get any kind of funding you have to know how to use them properly. Like what I said before. You clearly are misunderstanding my statement. You obviously have to compromise since you are a indie film maker, but you alway try not to.

Excellent advice from APE.

Mark, I saw what you call a line item budget. It tells me you do
not have the knowledge and experience to manage half a million
dollars. Money is not going allow you to make a great film or
even to realize your dream. I hope you take the time to build
your filmmaking knowledge, skill and experience - then you might
be able to attract more people to donate money to a crowdfunding
campaign.

how do you know I don't have knowledge to execute my project ?

I don't know that. I apologize. I made that assumption based on what
you have posted here and the budget I saw.

The budget I sent you was the sheer basic things that I was main focused on. I left everything else out because I felt it was unnecessary to show you. If you want the full scope of my project, then you can kindly join the project as a producer. I don't mean that to be harsh either. It just didn't make much sense to me.

I apologize again, Mark. I asked to see your full, line item budget. You said
I could see it. Then didn't send it. I wish you had just been up front with me
and said it was unnecessary to show me your full budget unless I were to
join the project as producer. I respect honesty.

I'm glad you have a full, line item budget and that you have the skill, knowledge
and experience to make this movie. I wish you the best.

I apologize again, Mark. I asked to see your full, line item budget. You said
I could see it. Then didn't send it. I wish you had just been up front with me
and said it was unnecessary to show me your full budget unless I were to
join the project as producer. I respect honesty.

I'm glad you have a full, line item budget and that you have the skill, knowledge
and experience to make this movie. I wish you the best.

You asked for a budget and I gave you one. Just because I didn't include every little detail doesn't mean I didn't send you a budget. I gave you a budget with my primary focus points. Rik what I don't appreciated is you saying that your interested in contributing and you don't, then turn around and ask for everything when you know you never had in intentions on doing so. Then you get on this site and try to diminish my work and put me down instead of actually adding constructive criticism or genuinely trying to help me. This project is not something that I just threw together. I have been working on this for some years. I've rewritten the script multiple times and have received tons of feedback on what I should change. I've changed my script multiple times to get to where I am now. So believe me when I say that I'm confident in my ability to complete this project that I've started. What is with people on this site that just try to tear each other down. As a group we should be about helping each other and building each other up. If you are offering something useful, then great. If not, then you need to keep that to yourself. But I like to thank you for your input.

Last edited:
You asked for a budget and I gave you one. Just because I didn't include every little detail doesn't mean I didn't send you a budget. I gave you a budget with my primary focus points.
I asked for a full line item budget. You did not send that. I wish you had
told me you didn't feel it was necessary to send me a full line item budget.
I would have respected that.

I know you are confident in your abilities. I believe you. I was hoping I could
help you demonstrate that to others. Many of the things you have said didn't
do that. I was genuinely trying to help you build a better crowdfunding campaign
through suggestions. I know budgeting. If you didn't have a full line item budget
I could have helped. I know a production company looking for a great action
project. Perhaps your project is what they are looking for. I only wanted to help.
I am truly sorry you see my contribution as diminishing your work and putting
you down.

Rik what I don't appreciated is you saying that your interested in contributing and you don't, then turn around and ask for everything when you know you never had in intentions on doing so.
That's not fair or true. You asked “If my campaign wasn't flexible funding. Would
you contribute to my campaign ?” and I said yes. I thought I was very clear that
I would not contribute to a flexible funding campaign.

How can you say you know my intentions? You do not. My intention was to contribute.
That's why I asked to see a line item budget.

I apologize for asking for a budget. I see now I overstepped my place. I won't do it again.

I know you are confident in your abilities. I believe you. I was hoping I could
help you demonstrate that to others. Many of the things you have said didn't
do that. I was genuinely trying to help you build a better crowdfunding campaign
through suggestions. I know budgeting. If you didn't have a full line item budget
I could have helped. I know a production company looking for a great action
project. Perhaps your project is what they are looking for. I only wanted to help.
I am truly sorry you see my contribution as diminishing your work and putting
you down.

That's not fair or true. You asked “If my campaign wasn't flexible funding. Would
you contribute to my campaign ?” and I said yes. I thought I was very clear that
I would not contribute to a flexible funding campaign.

How can you say you know my intentions? You do not. My intention was to contribute.
That's why I asked to see a line item budget.

I apologize for asking for a budget. I see now I overstepped my place. I won't do it again.

I apologize if you had true intentions and was really trying to help. I wasn't trying to be mean. But What I'm saying is the tone of all your posts were very much like you were talking down to me. If you want to help me, then help me. I don't have any issues with people that are trying to help. But when it come out the wrong way. People won't see it as help and it will sour things between you.

"I know a production company looking for a great action
project. Perhaps your project is what they are looking for. "

You never mentioned any of this and that is what I mean. If you are trying to help me, then help me. I will gladly take all the help I can get. But you have to be care of how it comes off to folks.

" My intention was to contribute.
That's why I asked to see a line item budget."

What I sent to you would give you an idea of what I planned on doing with the funds raised. I do want to let you know that I will be moving my campaign over to kickstarter shortly. So I will hold you to that and will be look for your contribution.

like I said before. We have to work together as a community and not against each other. Thank you all the same.

I apologize if you had true intentions and was really trying to help.

Apology accepted.

Perhaps you misunderstood my "tone". It's difficult to detect "tone" on
a messageboard. I'm no longer interested in helping you. I wish you the
best with your project but this interaction with you is too difficult for me.
And please do not interpret my tone as anything but sad. Do not read anger
or condescension into my tone. There is some regret but nothing else is
implied. I'm sorry to have upset you.

You asked for a budget and I gave you one. Just because I didn't include every little detail doesn't mean I didn't send you a budget.......

All this confusion...

Let's replace some words here and we will see how words, expectations and conclusions work.

"You asked for a feature film. Just because I didn't include all the scenes, doesn't mean I didn't send a feature."
"I asked for a high action feature..."

I haven't slept enough: shooting till close to midnight, up before dawn to shoot again, but I am aware this sounds like mockery. However, this is only mocking the confusion one gets when not communicating clearly.
When communicating about a feature or when seeking help: never pretend you understand when you don't, never assume you're clear when doing something else than expected.
Both are hard to do, I know: I also want to look smart and what I do always makes perfect sense to me.
Communication is the most important thing to get any team effort done.

As far as I know Rik: he is always trying to be helpfull and supportive.
He probably wanted to check out whether the budget 'made sense': a sensible budget often points to a clear and realistic vision on the feasability of a project. This is were experience helps as well.

Enough about this miscommunication.

What will you do differently with your kickstarter campaign?
Do you already have a new strategy?
(These questions are also meant to stimulate you to think about it :) )

Thanks, Walter. I was beginning to question myself. I'm glad you could see
my intent. I genuinely feel bad that Mark was upset with my questions and
statements. You are correct regarding my intent when asking for a line item
budget.

If Mark had said, “I don't have one but I do have an overview of what I feel
is important.” I would not have later said I felt he didn't have the needed
experience to manage half a million dollars. I would have offered to help him
put together a workable budget. If he had sent a fill line item budget I would
know for sure he was experienced enough to manage half a million dollars
and be willing to donate when he set up a kickstarter campaign. I got the
impression he was pretending to know and understand more than he actually
does. There is NO shame in that. There are people here with more knowledge
and experience willing to share and help.

This will be my last post on the subject; I feel bad that my intent was so
misunderstood. I honestly wish Smithproductions success with the new campaign.

Back