Filmmaking Kit

Hello,

I'm a photographer possessing Nikon D90 with several lenses but I like making short videos and films as well but my camera isn't best for it you know

Can anyone advice me what basic filming kit I would need to make short documentaries?

Cheers, M

hm.. I've not thought about gop-ro-like cameras bout actually its a good idea, because I'm travelling a lot so might be useful :)
I'll think about it.
any other suggestions?

I would check this out, its cheaper but has more features than the Go Pro Hero 4.

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/03/xiaomi-yi-action-camera-china-gopro-hero-price-cost

Just a slight correction, but that camera is being compared to the basic, $130 Hero. Not the Hero 4, which has several more features. It's a great suggestion, though.

hm.. I've not thought about gop-ro-like cameras bout actually its a good idea, because I'm travelling a lot so might be useful :)
I'll think about it.

I have a GoPro and really like it. I did some test shots HERE. Mine has WiFi, so I can put it in the general vicinity and operate it from my Ipad. Better yet, I set the GoPro to record, from the Ipad's control app, then go to the Ipad's camera and run two angles at once!

Other people will probably recommend DSLR cameras like the Canon 5D Mark lll or a T4, or a Panasonic GH4, or even better the Sony A7S. The last one would be good for just about any lighting situation you face.

If you are doing interviews, I would get a seperate audio recorder (Tascam, Zoom, etc.), since the camera mics are not great. Though I used the GoPro's audio in the above video, for serious work I often use a shotgun mic (usually a Sennheiser ME 66 or 67), which plugs into my Zoom H4N.

Back