• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Genres

This is sort of a multi-purpose thread, but i'd rather do that then clutter all your screens with several threads.

1. What is everyone's favourite genre of script to write/film? Why?
2. What is the easiest/most effective genre or style of script? Why?
3. What is the hardest style/genre of script to write? Why?
4. What genre requires the most natural talent/affinity to write? Which can be forced a little bit? Why?

You obviously don't have to answer all of the questions, I'm just curious to hear opinions.

This is sort of a multi-purpose thread, but i'd rather do that then clutter all your screens with several threads.

4. What genre requires the most natural talent/affinity to write? Which can be forced a little bit? Why?

You obviously don't have to answer all of the questions, I'm just curious to hear opinions.

Just my opinion

#1) fave to write, Drama - (why?) I just really enjoy it, picturing the music and audience crying during the sad scenes, nothing can be it...

#2) Horror, easiest to write, every language can jump if you scare them

#3) Comedy - very hard to judge what is funny to you vs the rest of the world

#4) Just depends on the person

Nick Soares

I love drama and psychological thriller. Drama because I love to write simple things and drama is an important genre of showing people's feelings, love, qualities (satire). Also, I enjoyed watching psychological thrillers (mindf*ck movies) and I also enjoy writing if a good twist end comes to my mind, I love them as a viewer, also to write.

Horror and sometimes drama (when the script is short).

Comedy (because it's not that easy to make people laugh, because there are differences in our sense of humor. We are different). Psychological Thriller (is not that easy to write as you need to point yourself in the place of the viewer and it's not easy and you need to not bore them and here the movie must be harder to understand, also the ending should be epic but believable). Also drama can be hard sometimes.

Well, this depends. I have examples from Hollywood, we have Woody Allen who has talent for Romantic Comedies, then we have Chris Nolan (I think both of them) who is attracted to the thriller genre. Zaillian is better at writing drama films. And the list continuous, I think even the best writers are better at writing a specific genre.

1 : I just love sci-fi and fantasy.
2 : horror/action, because it does not require much to write. And you don't need to translate it in any way.
3 : Comedy, as what is fun to you, might not be fun to others.
4 : Any movie with great dialogue throughout the movie, requires most talent in my eyes. Or alot of training.

1. Sci-fi and action. It's challenging to me, so I enjoy writing it.
2. Drama. For me, drama just comes naturally.
3. Comedy is definitely the hardest, for me at least. There are only a few people who get my sense of humor, and I get the feeling it wouldn't translate well to the screen.
4. I think comedy requires the most natural talent. If you're not funny and don't have a good sense of humor, it's pretty damn hard to fake it. I'm gonna go with horror for a genre that can be forced a little bit, mainly because of empirical evidence supporting that statement. :D

Obviously, Questions 2-4 are completely subjective and any answer is right according to different writers, but I'll give an opinion on the first question.

1. I think crime is my favorite genre, partly because I'm the most experienced with it. Name any crime/gangster/heist movie and I've probably seen it. Donnie Brasco, The Godfather, Drive, The French Connection etc. Because of this I can write plots/dialogue with ease.

Back