Worst song of the year?

As usual, 2011 gave us a boatload of shameless, unoriginal, irritating, and otherwise just-plain-stupid pop music. But what's the absolute worst song of 2011? In my opinion, that dubious honor goes to Big Sean's "Dance (A$$)", the epitome of moronic, monotone, obnoxious rap music (keep kids away):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn1VGytzXus

What do you guys think? Lady GaGa overrated? David Guetta nothing but a catchy hook-maker? What song would you vote worst?

Fortunately, I'm isolated from most pop music, so most of this stuff I don't hear. But a nod to the wonderful Kate Bush for her "50 words for snow" song, off the otherwise amazing album with that title. It opens with a nice, Peter Gabriel-esq groove and features Stephen Fry...reciting 50 words for snow. His voice played in contrast with hers sounds really great. Instrumentally, the song is awesome. But it's literally 50...words...for snow. Of course, on her last album, she sung Pi to 137 decimal places. I am not making this up.

Kate Bush is a weird, weird woman.

I've been sat on the fence about Nicki Minaj all year. At the start of the year, I couldn't even stand to look at the woman, let alone listen to her music. Now... Well... I'm slightly more fond of her, mainly because of her verse on David Guettas "Where Them Girls At?". I can even listen to "Super Bass" without changing the channel.

Still, my nomination for worst song of the year would probably go to "Fly" by Nicki Minaj ft. Rihanna. Can't. Stand. It.

Last edited:
Okay, Friday doesn't even count as music. That's one of those goes-without-saying things.
It's interesting you'd say that, mad hatter, because Fly is the one song by Minaj I can stand to listen to. She's crazy talented (apparently having majored in 1001 Ways to Rap Scarily), but her music is the same pop-rap garbage thrown at us by Young Money and the like. And I think I'll have to look up that Kate Bush song...

I like that song A$$ haha cause it's fun at parties but it is terrible in comparison to actual music. I must put any David Guetta song up as the worst of 2011 except for laserlight just because Jessie J is in it and I am in love with her music. That annoying techno/pop sound fills the radios for hours without any break

Last edited:
Michael Allen, that there hurt my brain. I think I read a review of that album that sums it up nicely: "At no point does it sound like Metallica and Reed are on the same planet". As far as Party Rock Anthem goes, I hated it when I first heard it, but its insane catchiness and overall danceability grew on me. Sure, there's nothing actually redeeming about it, but it's just so darn fun! And anyway, I think LMFAO is supposed to be kind of a... comedy group? I think they're mostly aware of their ridiculousness, which gives me slightly more respect for them.

EDIT: Although... that Wal-Mart song *is* pretty awful as well...

Last edited:
Back