Job in filming industry as a bridge to further career

PA's fill a wide variety of functions, ranging from office pa's who handle paperwork and business affairs to some who serve as assistants to actors and others who are drivers. It's a good way to get a feel for how a movie set works.

Yes, I alone. I wrote down all notes of camera, sound, make-up, props and clothes. 3 days I was carrying dozens of papers with me Next time I'll bring my laptop. I didn't know that there are standard sheets for that.

While these notes are very important, you were getting bogged down with other people's jobs instead of paying attention to your own. You were doing the paperwork for the sound mixer (likely a poor job of it unless s/he was passing you notes too) and the paperwork for an AC on top of the other departments. This is probably the reason you think that the script supervisor's job is menial. You were given menial tasks and given the title of script supervisor.

As I said before, taking the notes are important but there's a lot more skill involved with being a script supervisor. Take for instance, if you crossed the line during shooting and it wasn't noticed (and you didn't bring it up), you're primarily at fault. It's more responsibility than an entry level job typically allows.

Editing, scripty, gaffer, actor are not typically considered “minor” jobs.

So true.

Yes. But I believe the structure of the industry is the same everywhere. I don't think there is something different about jobs there.

When different people are involved, each and every set will be different in some way. The basic structure may be similar, the execution is different. I think every one of my productions has had a different crew formation due to the differences in requirements, technical needs and limitations.

Production assistant... Well, as a production assistant I was more in driving than on the set: needed to bring actors, or food or something or someone.

Welcome to entry level. You do what you're told to do. Meet people, build your contacts, learn.

What's with your fascination with being on set all the time?

What I do like about this job, is that people that on the set love you. I felt like their Momma lol

Of course they loved you. They were getting you to do their paperwork.

Yes. But I believe the structure of the industry is the same everywhere. I don't think there is something different about jobs there.
As usual you completely miss my point and ignore my questions.
I should have learned by now.

I'm afraid to become such good at some dirty job, that everybody will want me to stay there, because I'm doing it good.

As I mentioned in my post, if you have a reputation for being smart & reliable, and you are easy to get along with, people will want to work with you. And yes, you'll be stuck doing crap jobs for a while. But when opportunities appear (someone is sick, for instance) you'll be in position to get a shot at something else. So instead of running out for coffee or some suddenly needed thing and doing other BS (but important) jobs you'll be running errands for the 1st AD or someone like that; maybe the production sound teams wrangler didn't show, so you get a shot there. Now you have the opportunity to be smart, reliable and easy-going with more important folks on the set.

I work on a regular basis with a producer who almost always has really nice projects happening. We had a PA (unpaid) a number of years ago who drove up from Pennsylvania to work for free on a short. He worked his frigging tail off. He took on jobs that needed doing without being asked. He was a joy to work with, and when asked, had some very creative or practical suggestions. Our DP (who did lots of commercial and corporate work) needed a strong but smart back for a few days after our shoot was completed; guess who got the job? Guess who was in charge of all PAs (among a lot of other things) on the set of "I Am Legend" two years later? Guess who is doing 1st AD work now?

So it can be done; 90% of it is up to you. The other 10% is luck, but most of luck is being in the right place at the right time and being widely networked. Having a reputation for smarts, reliability and an easy-going attitude will get you to those right places and a start on your network.

Thanks for the advise. If this it how it works, I believe I can do there. I'm a workoholic in some way, and can be nice to ppl.

What's with your fascination with being on set all the time?

A good question. This is where it seems more interesting and dynamic.

As usual you completely miss my point and ignore my questions.
I should have learned by now.

What were your questions? Whether there are many entry positions in Israeli cinematography? Not many, but probably enough. However, there are not many higher positions in this industry, because this industry in Israel is very small. This is the answer.
Script supervisor jobs are usually NOT available, because they are already taken.

And I DID get your point. If I don't ask questions - it means that I got the point :)

Last edited:
This is where it seems more interesting and dynamic.

I have a local friend who is doing his best to become a cinematographer. He's got a similar ailment like you. He doesn't care for pre-production or post production. He only wants to be on set. He often turns up unprepared (like you not knowing there are forms for a script supervisor).

Don't get me wrong, he's quite talented, and has a good eye, though he may be killing his career before it begins.

All the important jobs tend to need a lot of pre-production work and some also need a lot of post production work to be successful. With your narrow focus on only being on set and what appears to me, your wanting to jump to higher end jobs is a little bit of a worrying combination.

I have a local friend who is doing his best to become a cinematographer. He's got a similar ailment like you. He doesn't care for pre-production or post production. He only wants to be on set. He often turns up unprepared (like you not knowing there are forms for a script supervisor).

Don't get me wrong, he's quite talented, and has a good eye, though he may be killing his career before it begins.

All the important jobs tend to need a lot of pre-production work and some also need a lot of post production work to be successful. With your narrow focus on only being on set and what appears to me, your wanting to jump to higher end jobs is a little bit of a worrying combination.

I understand what you mean.
Well, I may be wrong, but I tend believe that the best way to make networking is to work close with people, not from the distance (home, office and etc).

A few things: You don't need to work that close to people for them to notice you're a good person to have around. Even if people don't mention it, good leaders notice good workers.

There are other places where you can network. Events, outside work, lunches etc. but also the production office is also a very good place for a wanna-be director to network with the right people.

Directors are leaders. Leaders have to work on their own sometimes. They also have to step up and lead. Also note, good leaders focus more on what needs to get done rather than worry about networking while working.

Back