Buying a new Desktop to edit film.

Can someone tell me if the computer Im interested in is strong enough? I have Pinnacle Studio 20 Ultimate. The following is the software requirements. And the desktop specs below that.

Internet connection required for installation, registration and updates. Registration required for product use.

Windows 10 recommended, Windows 8.x, Windows 7, 64-bit OS highly recommended.

Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz, Core i3 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz or higher.

Intel Core i5 or i7 1.06 GHz or higher required for AVCHD and Intel Quick Sync Video support.

Intel Core i7 or AMD Athlon X4 or higher for UHD, Multi-Camera or 360 video.

2 GB of RAM or higher, min. 4 GB for Windows 64-bit, 8+GB highly recommended for UHD, Multi-Camera, or 360 video.

DirectX 9 (or higher) graphics device with Pixel Shader 3.0 support like:

NVIDIA GeForce 6 series or higher (CUDA enabled required for CUDA support).

ATI X1000 series or higher.

Intel GMA X3000 series or higher.

HEVC (H.265) support requires supporting PC hardware or graphics card.

128 MB VGA VRAM.

Display resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher.

Windows-compatible sound card (multi-channel output required for surround preview).

8 GB HDD space for full installation.

Accessories:

DVD burner for creating DVD and AVCHD discs.

Input Options:

Capture from DV, HDV and Digital8 camcorders or VCRs (requires a FireWire port).

Capture from analog camcorders, 8mm, HI 8, VHS, SVHS, VHS-C, SVHS-C, or VCRs (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) (requires Dazzle video hardware – sold separately).

Import from AVCHD and other file based camcorders, digital still cameras, mobile devices and webcams.

Import Formats:

Video: MVC, AVCHD, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1/-2/-4, DivX, Flash, 3GP (MPEG-4, H.263), WMV, Non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), MOV (DV, MPEG-4, H.264), HEVC (H.265), DivX Plus MKV, XAVC, MXF, DVCPRO HD, XAVC S.

Audio: MP3, MPA, M4A, WAV, AMR, AC3, AAC, Vorbis, WMA.

Graphic: JPS, BMP, GIF, JPG, PCX, PSD, TGA, TIF, WMF, PNG, J2K.

Export Formats:

AVCHD, DVD (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW, dual layer).

Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad/TV, Sony PSP/PS3/PS4, Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox compatible formats.

DV, HDV, AVI, DivX, WMV, MPEG-1/-2/-4, Flash, 3GP, WAV, MP2, MP3, MP4, HEVC (H.265, H.264), DivX Plus MKV, JPEG, TIF, TGA, BMP, XAVC S.

Dolby Digital 5.1-channel.

Blu-ray Support:

Requires purchase of a separate plug-in from within the product.

Requires Blu-ray Disc reader and/or burner.

Supported Languages:

Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Swedish.

This is the desktop specs:

windows 10, Intel core i5. HD 250gb. Ram 8gb
Graphics Processing Type: Integrated/On-Board Graphics Form Factor: Small Form Factor (SFF)
Processor Speed: 3.10GHz Hardware Connectivity: DisplayPort, VGA, USB 2.0
Features: VGA, DisplayPort, 10 USB 2.0 Ports, Windows 10

I am also concerned about the integrated gaphics card, should I be?

figured he should have the right display.

Getting everything right in editing is important. There's very few areas that aren't important, all the way from the appropriate CPU for the software used down to your desk and chair setup.

Unfortunately it always comes down to their budget.

Which is better for video editing? 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?? What difference would I see in these?

It's a personal preference. I use one on my personal rig. I like working on 16:10 monitor for my main monitor.

When you edit, you always want more monitor real estate.

Getting everything right in editing is important. There's very few areas that aren't important, all the way from the appropriate CPU for the software used down to your desk and chair setup.

Unfortunately it always comes down to their budget.

It's a personal preference. I use one on my personal rig. I like working on 16:10 monitor for my main monitor.

When you edit, you always want more monitor real estate.
So 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 looks the exact same, 1200 is just a little more detailed/pixels?

No it is taller. If you are watching an HD movie it would fill the screen with and HD res monitor, but with the 1200, you have more vertical space. So you could fill the screen with the movie and have menus below, etc.

I am not an editor so do not appreciate the real estate as much as others. Some people edit on 32".

Which would you buy if you didn't already have a monitor?

A couple 32" or 34" 4k monitors is what I'd buy. At that size, 16:9 or 16:10 doesn't really matter much. Just not those superwide 21:9 ones. At 24" 16:10 (your 1200p) is what I'd lean towards.

Buy a good brand and a good panel. Gamers usually buy TN panels because they have the fastest response time. But viewing angles and color are lacking. IPS panels are brighter and have better color reproduction as well as viewing angles. Then there is the VA panel. Samsung makes IPS but they provide the panels to other makers, for example my Dell monitor is IPS. The blue glow they talk about is not anything to worry about, at least on mine. Here's some reading:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ips-vs-tn-vs-va-gaming-performance-colour-explained-2948955
https://www.displayninja.com/ips-vs-tn-vs-va/

Yes, you want 1920x1080, that is full HD.

For a TV yes, that would be appropriate. For a computer more real estate can be good for editors. For example an HD movie could fill the screen horizontally and you'd still have real estate at the bottom if you needed it for footage, or a menu, or graph, etc.

You are going to get varying opinions, just buy what you need. And if you are new to editing, you do not need much more than a good monitor. Read reviews, and pick one. When you are learning to drive you don't need a Ferrari.

You are going to get varying opinions, just buy what you need. And if you are new to editing, you do not need much more than a good monitor. Read reviews, and pick one.

lol, thanks. Ill just pick the 1920x1200 monitor. But I will need help with the gpu. I dont want my system crashing like Quality mentioned(thanks Quality for mentioning that), due to lack of gpu power either. My system requirement for the software states : Nvidia GeForce 6 series or higher with Cuda(not sure what that means).

Back