How can a non resident American become a director in Hollywood?

Hello Guys/ Girls :)

This is Amogh from India, and I have a die hard passion for film writing and directing. Over the year I have studied a lot of literature on Film making, screenwriting etc., I've involved myself in scanning all the forums, browsing the websites and looking for film making DVD's in the libraries. After getting bored of just thinking and reading, I made my mind to start my career right now... Hence recently I completed writing a script for my short film, and it took about five drafts. Now that I'm satisfied with the material, I'm grouping with my friends to shoot it. I know that short film is only for the sake of getting noticed, and can anyone suggest me the right place to display my short?

By the way that wasn't my purpose to post this thread. Within a year or two, I'll complete my Technical education. I have plans of moving to Hollywood right away, but I need some advise. I need some guidance. I know, I can understand the intensity of competition going on for the spotlight, I also know that whatever I do, I will have to start at the bottom... Guys/ Girls I'm willing to take anything, and by the virtue of bad luck if I can't make it, I'm prepared to be satisfied with whatever I get... And moreover I'm confident, I'm not afraid... But what I'm worried about is, Let me put it like this...

Imagine, After all the struggling and reverie, I raise money to travel all the way to Hollywood, well prepared, in order to realize my dreams, Fine. I get down at the airport, full of rapture, looking at the bright colors of the totally different world. Very fine. But what's next? Where should I go? Should I stay back at the LA airport? No I can't, that's not the way! But there is a way... and some one please tell me what next?

Should I go to a restaurant to land a job? Where should I stay after having found a job? And whom should I contact first to start an Indie project? Please help me guys/girls...

Last edited:
Depends on your visa.

If you re coming to US on visiting visa, you won't be able to work (legally).

On job related visa u ll have to find an US employeer, who is willing to hire you. But you ll be working LOT and won't have much time on filmmaking. And by employer I don't mean a restaurant or coffee shop. I mean big corporations, like microsoft, boeing etc..

In other words, if u want to come to us to shoot movies in holywood ~ the reality is that u ll have to spend about several years just to settle your immigrations.. took me almost 12 years ;) I'm an imigrant from russia, and moved to US at 12... I just got my citizenship in january of 2011 (woot!)

Good luck

Depends on your visa.

If you re coming to US on visiting visa, you won't be able to work (legally).

On job related visa u ll have to find an US employeer, who is willing to hire you. But you ll be working LOT and won't have much time on filmmaking. And by employer I don't mean a restaurant or coffee shop. I mean big corporations, like microsoft, boeing etc..

In other words, if u want to come to us to shoot movies in holywood ~ the reality is that u ll have to spend about several years just to settle your immigrations.. took me almost 12 years ;) I'm an imigrant from russia, and moved to US at 12... I just got my citizenship in january of 2011 (woot!)

Good luck

Congrats man!! My wife is getting ready to take her test.

Thank you , d and m! It was real accomplishment, no joke lol I think I lost 10 years due to stress haha

Actual Interview/Test was realively easy and pain free. But the process of getting citizenship interview - too long, too expensive and too hectic (lots and lots of paperwork, from both countries)

To op: Just the process of settling in america is difficult enough, no need to pile up hollywood madness on top of it

I don't know if ROC is trying to be clever or something, but while you're waiting for a visa, try to make an authentic Indian Bollywood movie, singing and dancing and all. I love those!

Well, apparently Bollywood was going to be bigger than Hollywood and that's why Spielberg signed that contract...?

Or did that go by the wayside? I haven't heard anything more than that.

Well, apparently Bollywood was going to be bigger than Hollywood and that's why Spielberg signed that contract...?

Which contract is that? I missed it.

I think Bollywood produces 3 times the movies Hollywood does per year.

PS

I just remembered. Did i ever reply to ur PM abt lenses/film look? Cant remember if i did and there is no sent folder in PM's to check.

Since there's plenty of people in America that can't direct for shi.... nothing and make it The 'Wood I'd wager you're best off making indie film products locally until it generates appreciable revenue.

I WOULD NOT go all the way to anywhere, let alone another planet/country, get a cr@p job waiting cliche tables while rounding up an indie crew to make a scene.
That'd be crazy.

India's got plenty of business opportunities, a lot of social stratification impediments too, I hear, but there's no magical anything in the States that can't be done anywhere with regular electricity.

Might be better off going to Australia or New Zealand, both counties have fine film industries.
Would certainly save a bit, I imagine. Apply the savings toward your first projects.

GL!

I know that short film is only for the sake of getting noticed, and can anyone suggest me the right place to display my short?
One short is nice. Three is better. Three short films and a feature
is even better. The place to display your short is in film festivals.
First in your native country then internationally.

Should I go to a restaurant to land a job?
That's a fine place to start.

Where should I stay after having found a job?
You should stay where every you can. Most people find another person
to be their roommate to share expenses and rent an apartment as close
to their job as they can.

And whom should I contact first to start an Indie project? Please help me guys/girls...
You would contact producers, agents, fellow directors and even just friends
to help you.

Hey,I guess we both are in the same boat.I'm from India too:).I'm studying CSE right now and plan to enroll in a film school after I grad from cse.my plan is to make as many shorts as possible while studying cse.amogh,dont you have any plans of filmschools in LA?

Hey,I guess we both are in the same boat.I'm from India too:).I'm studying CSE right now and plan to enroll in a film school after I grad from cse.my plan is to make as many shorts as possible while studying cse.amogh,dont you have any plans of filmschools in LA?

Hey Punee! Yeah sounds good. But there are certain rules and regulations for immigrants in USA and that's the first thing in our way. Talking about film schools in LA, yeah it's a good idea unless I'm able to raise enough money :lol:

One of the previous response to my thread said that we can enter USA by the way of sponsorship by our relative staying there. Well I don't have any problems with that I've got couple of close relatives residing in USA, and right now I'm taking my technical education... Well I still have a hope, and I'll never lose it. :) I can only wish that I could taken my birth in US

Last edited:

ROC, Spielberg isn't investing on a Bollywood movie, Reliance Pictures is investing on his... :lol:

Back