movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Insurgent. It's okay. About as good as the first, but maybe not quite as good.

The Conjuring. It's okay. And I'm glad it turned out to be not so scary.

Making It. It's a hard slog trying to get by as a professional artist, I guess. The doc is okay, if a bit of a downer for would-be artists. But I suppose it's best to know the truth.

Last edited:
The file on thelma jordan
Not bad, although I almost turned it off in the beginning because of how pathetic stanwycks character seemed. Fortunately I had some faith to explain matters and it all made sense in the end. She usually plays such strong women, i was quite taken aback by the beginning.

Lost in La Mancha Ehhhhhh
I guess I liked it but the whole thing boils down to a very simple fact

Quixote has health problems, insurance claims it is an "act of god" and doesn't cover their main actor having to drop out. WTH is the point of insurance ??? And then without a don quixote the film fails.

Birdman - 5/10 - technically good, in some parts great, but overall made me fall asleep.

Woman in black 2 - 4/10 - just an average movie no where near the quality of the first one.

Interstellar - 8/10 - A much better version of 2001 (which i found extremely boring), the film was way too long, but I really enjoyed the later parts of the film and the soundtracks are without a doubt amazing.. could we expect no less from Hans Zimmer?

Home: I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but it is a very, very good one. It has lots of positive messages, genuinely funny humor, catchy music, some very nice visuals and good voice acting from a surprisingly small cast. The script could have used one more polish, but in this case, good is good enough.

7/10

Mad Max 5/5

The original, yeah? Great movie.

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY... 10/10 :bow:
Such a good film. Seriously. If you haven't seen it go find the biggest screen you can, turn up the speakers, set aside 3 hours and enjoy.

Watching it again I was struck by how well it is structured, the complexity of the interweaving plot. Clint Eastwood isn't even in the first 20 minutes, and not only that but it's Lee Van Cleef who seems to carry the plot forward on his own for the first third of the movie or so. Blondie and Tuco don't even find out about the gold until about an hour in. Up to then they're just doing their own thing, playing their game of cat and mouse. And I love how there is this epic backdrop of the civil war but these three men seem to have little interest in it.

And then there's that final act; pure cinematic brilliance.

One of my favourite lines in the movie (and one which a lot of movie bad guys could learn from):
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." :lol:
Classic.

But I've said enough, the film speaks for itself. Go watch it. :yes:

Agree about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Recently re-watched it too, and was impressed, as well.

Bloodline (Netflix original series). I liked it. It's a slow burner, which I usually like. This one may be a little too slow a burner for the first few episodes, even for me. :P But it was worth sticking with. A pretty decent family/mystery/crime drama. Recommend for those interested in that sort of thing. Really good cast, too. But now that I've burned through the whole first season, I'm left having to find another show. :)

Showrunners: The Art of Running a TV Show. A must-see. I think I can give up my fantasy of writing for a TV show. But that's okay. Definitely a recommend for the IT crowd.

Marvel's Daredevil. I'm hooked. I'm only on Episode 4, though. Hope they don't drop the ball for me. It's like a good quality CW superhero show (read: Smallville), only they can use the s-word once in awhile. ;)

Really good cast so far. I'm a big fan of Charlie Cox in Stardust. Also thought he was really good in The Theory of Everything. He seems very excellently cast in this too. Good for him. I also really like Rosario Dawson in this. And they only just revealed Vincent D'Onofrio....and an excellent introduction it was. Also seems like a great casting choice. And I like the rest of the cast too!

Netflix is putting out some good quality content.

Last edited:
The Homesman. A fairly grim story, but interesting and good. A class act. Grade A-.

Exists. D. Characters doing stupid things that are just too stupid. Didn't care for the story. They did some things well enough, though.

After. Maybe a C+ for effort. So-so. Not so bad. I suppose the story is Stephen King-esque.

The Quiet Ones. B-. Fairly decent thriller. Probably worth your time if you're in the mood.

The Canal. C+. I was about to give this one an F when for a short stretch it was looking like they were going to go with a version of the 'Oh, it was all just a dream' trope, or, specifically, with the
'the guy's just psychotic and hallucinating' trope...albeit maybe due to the haunting.
But at least they pulled away from that ultimately. For those who liked
American Horror Story
Season One.

Thale. I thought this was pretty interesting and well done. B.

Mad Max: Fury Road. I came out of this thinking not only an A, but a Triple A, as in AAA. Really not sure I should rate it so highly. But that's pretty much how I felt coming out of it. And that's probably because it's pretty much everything a Mad Max movie should be. And man, the art department did a fantastic job on this. So did everyone else. I thought both Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy were really good in it and well cast. And the rest of the actors too. It's fake 3D according to realorfack3d.com. But I think they did a good job converting it, then, and it was used to good effect. I really liked it and I'm glad I saw it that way. One of the important things they did right was to get a good sense or effect of depth in some scenes, I thought.

Last edited:
Lost River 8/10 - Really loved this, had a real gritty feeling to it and one of the scenes were one of the most unexpected things I have ever seen and made me smile big time, also love the music in it.

Searching for Sugar Man 3/10 - Boring documentary, only livened up a bit at the end, were it not recommended to me to watch I would have turned off after 10 minutes, story is good but just took too long for what it is.

Nightcrawler 8/10 - Strange, weird, absorbing and enjoyable throughout, great acting and again enjoyable throughout.

I watched Her a couple days ago. Interestesting subject but I think it dragged on a bit. Thats the style I guess, but I would've preferred a bit more going on.

I would give it 6/10

ohhh man Mad Max: Fury Road 5/5 no complaints so good see it. actors, plot, action, shot selection, tropes, ART DEPARTMENT totally excelled, couldn't have been more happy with this movie

Name the latest film you watched, or re-watched and give it a rating. A 1-10 scale seems about right. Feel free to use letter grades if you must.

Share your thoughts!

The last two films I watched are (yes your getting a two for the price of 1 or a buy one get one free lol):

Phone Booth, I have seen this film before but its still good, i must admit its looking a little dated now because its increasingly getting harder and harder to actually see phone boxes on the street.

The plot was interesting, man cheats on his wife at the same phone box everyday so the number isn't on his phone bill (I think this must have been like 2G because i don't think they had burner phones or sim cards these days most people would just swap sims before making the calls then delete the call history before switching back to the main sim card.

Anyway the idea if he hangs up he dies, he tries to leave the phone box he dies, and if he doesn't do what he is told somebody else dies and that the marksman has him in his sights at all times, you could apply the same situation anywhere just superimpose the phone box for a self phone.

I give it a 7, because it looks out of date but the plot is still good.

The second film I watched recently was I Spit on Your Grave, this wasn't really to my tastes.

Storey goes that a female novelist goes to a remote cabin somewhere in the deep south usa, some of the locals realise she is alone, especially when her toilet breaks and whilst the repairman is trying to fix it she drops her phone in it, leaving her without any contact to the outside world. This leads to a brutle gang rape and sexual assault. She is then left for dead in a river and whilst her attackers search for her, they are unable to find her for over a month.

She then returns back picking off her attackers one by one and doing to them pretty much what they did to her.

I give this a 4 because its not my cup of tea at all, just reviewed it as part of an interview process for a job.

Mad Max 8/10 - art team huge credit, the film started excellently but I felt it drifted off slightly halfway through, I also struggled to come to terms with Max seemed like he was lacking in purpose almost..

Back